Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Solved] Netgear setup for non-windows computers users.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Netgear setup for non-windows computers users.

Hi together.

Unfortunately for all of you, i am once again on the loose.

I'm trying to set up the computer, but i'm temporarily staying with my Brother who has a wireless ... whatever. His son has given me a thing to stuff in a USB port once i have installed the Netgear ?driver? or something (i apologise for being vague, but my understanding/memory is a bit flakey.. .

The Netgear instructions say to stuff the CD into the drive, open index.htm, choose your language, click the Setup Manual and follow the instructions.

The only problem is that there isn't an index.htm on the CD - at least not that i can find.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Netgear setup for non-windows computers users.

have you tried downloading wi-mifi http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mad...i-0.9.4.tar.gz

this may or may not help ?

Comment

i found this post on another forum that might help you out.
      http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...dapter-489474/

also what model is that usb adaptor? using that you can find the chipset that controls the radio and then check madwifi , prisim and ndiswrapper for compatibility for the chipset

good luck.

just a quick note.

i used to have a pcmica netgear adaptor i got for my laptop and it works ok w/ windoze but kubuntu (and mac os 10.4.x) i could not get to reconize the card. from my understanding mine didn't work cause the chipset used a soft firmware that required windoze to work. i ended up spending about 12 dollars on ebay for a minipci wifi card w/ an atheros chipset. and giving the card to a friend who has XP on his tizzy.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thank You both for your replies.

However, they weren't needed in the end, as i'm using Linux, and he thought that it would need to be done the same way as Windows.

Instead, what we did was shoved the USB doodah fully home in the port, stuffed the Netgear CD in the drive, and everything suddenly worked... all it needed was the password.

Once again, Thank You for your help.

.... and before toad gets here to nag me :P i will now change this to [Solved]

Comment

Working...
        X