This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spanish dictionary

Does anybody out there know how of a GOOD Spanish-English-Spanish dictionary that will work on Linux?

I've been googling desperately for days. I've ineffectually tried to make Oxford's and Merriam Webster's dictionaries work with Wine. I'm perfectly willing to pay for the author's efforts, but I must know before I do so that it will be accepted at least by Wine. I am using the Wine version in the repos (not the latest version in Wine HQ.

Would be much obliged...

Re: Spanish dictionary

If the language-support-es package doesn't provide enough support for you, then try a Google query such as "ubuntu spanish dictionary". There were some references to things like on-line dictionaries and other solutions. I'm not a fluent Spanish speaker, so I can't help much with that. Hope you find what you need!!
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Thanks for your reply, but I'm afraid I have tried not only ubuntu Spanish dictionary, but just about every other combination as well. What I netted was pretty disappointing. For English you have both Collins and Oxford (to be used with Stardict, for instance) but I can't get their commercial Spanish Dictionaries to run on Wine, or Webster's Spanish, which actually is free. The Collins online dict. is very good, but it is online, and that is a disadvantage. The other dictionaries I have found are too small.

Comment

This may not work, but you can always drop a suggestion for future releases both here and on Ubuntu's forum. There may be a way to incorporate a better dictionary if a need becomes known. You may have to yell really loud, but with the number of Spanish speakers on this old planet, there should be plenty of demand !!
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Try to Google it in spanish. I am in Mexico and my Google responds in spanish first. I will start lookingand post back if I find something. If you are just needing spelling help you might be able to set spell check on just one browser it spanish.

Comment

OK look in the package manager. In search put in dictionary. You can load spanish for aspell. I got about half way down the list and fount a spanish to english and aenglish to spanish dictionary. I am going back now to install and look for more resourses right here at our fingertips.

Comment

I don't see a way to edit my other post so here I am again. I installed "i2e". It looks like a good english to spanish and spanish dictionary. I started it in terminal but it haqs a gui I haven't looked for an icon. Thanks, if I had not seen this post I would never have found it and it looks useful to me.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your replies.
                Yes. I have i2e, but it isn't really good enough. There are a lot of words missing, and there are no example sentences, no information about grammar (for instance if a word is only used in plural, if a masculine noun is used for women, or if you should add an 'a' to for instance 'juez'.)

For English, you can download Oxford or Collins and run them in Stardict. They are magnificent dictionaries. But the equivalent (Collins', Oxford's and Merriam Webster's bilingual Spanish dictionaries won't even run on Wine.

I have submitted a request to Wine for Merriam Webster, which is the least expensive of the bi-lingual dictionaries, and the Wine team have said they have accepted my request, whatever that means. I agree that it really should be possible to run a good Spanish dictionary on Linux!

Comment

Working...
                X