Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Virtualbox Kernel Driver Not Out Yet !

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Virtualbox Kernel Driver Not Out Yet !

I'm sure there's a lot of other users who are aware that virtualbox doesn't work anymore with the recent generic kernel upgrade to 2.6.24-22. How long does it usually take for a new VB kernel module to be released? Is there any way I can I ensure that I'm notified when that does happen? Thanks.

mhumm2
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Re: New Virtualbox Kernel Driver Not Out Yet !

Have you got the kernel headers package installed as well, for the latest kernel, which is where VMWare and Virtualbox look?

Comment

Hi,

When they release a new kernel, you have to rerun the setup for virtualbox. I don't have the command but if you open a terminal and type in VirtualBox you should get the message that says what to do. I have upgraded to the newer kernel and reran the setup and all is ok. This needs to be done each time you get a kernel update.

Comment

Here's the output:

Code:
        $ virtualbox
        WARNING: The character device /dev/vboxdrv does not exist.
             Please install the virtualbox-ose-modules package for your kernel,
             which is likely virtualbox-ose-modules-generic.

You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed.

$ sudo apt-get install virtualbox-ose-modules-generic

Reading package lists... Done
        Building dependency tree
        Reading state information... Done
        virtualbox-ose-modules-generic is already the newest version.
        The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
         libwxgtk2.8-0 libwxbase2.8-0 linux-headers-2.6.24-21-generic
         linux-headers-2.6.24-21
        Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
        0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
        I'm not going to delete the former headers until I get the replacement for kernel 2.6.24-22-generic. Again, does anyone have any idea when that will happen? Other than running: sudo apt-get install update every day or so, is there a better way to be informed of an updated file?

mhumm2
        "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Working...
        X