Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friend needs help with possible browser issue.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friend needs help with possible browser issue.

She just told me something is hijacking her browser. She describes some sort of popup ( screenshots included) asking her to scan her box for malware. She says when she tries to close these pop-ups, it crashes her browser. She is using firefox 3.0.1 ( I told her to update ) I never had such an issue, what should she do?

[img width=400 height=250]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f212/rafbak/2-1.png[/img]
    direct link - http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f212/rafbak/2-1.png
    [img width=400 height=250]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f212/rafbak/1-1.png[/img]
    direct link - http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f212/rafbak/1-1.png

Re: Friend needs help with possible browser issue.

Don't visit the URL she typed into the browser.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      Don't visit the URL she typed into the browser.
      She claims the browser opens itself to this URL once in a while on its own. And yeah, I should have mentioned, DO NOT VISIT THAT URL

Comment

It's a Windoze site, and even if she allowed it to scan, I doubt it would run. No harm (should) be done if she tried. As to it randomly appearing, well ....

Have her clear the cache, cookie, and history from Firefox. That should stop it from reappearing later.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

This is a particularly nasty piece of malware that lures the unsuspecting windows user into thinking their computer is infected, then install itself on the computer. It completely takes over the computer, to include hijacking the home page and redirecting any searches. It is a bear to remove, but it can be done. I removed this one, and another called Pro Antispyware from two XP computers last week. Took hours to get them cleaned up. One had 35 trojans on it. But it should not have any effect on a linux machine. This kind of stuff keeps me in business.

Comment

I have spent hours on this very issue, and every minute spent on it is a wast of time, as you can not get it out of the reg less you have the big boy toys.

I have ended up rebuilding 3 machines that have been hit by this, and was better for it. The 2 others I stripped the virus out, were not the same as before. This thing is bad.

Oh one the the machines was my very own. See I have a box under my desk at work for data recovery, and it is a dual boot. I rarely every use the XP side so i am not keeping it up to date. Well I was ripping a DVD (for the kids) and got hit with it. Dam I felt like a boob. I am the PC Tech and I should not be getting viruses right. Well I blame Linux for that as I am so used to never having to keep up on my AV, and such. Well I gave up on it after 2 hours of oh S**Ts, and F**Ks. The very next day my partners dad's PC got hit. We spent 3 hours and got it off, well we hoped, but it was doing some funky things.

Well I wish I had a todo doc for you but I don't good luck.

Noel Vh
            ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

Umm...I forgot to mention she is running Kubuntu, and got this lol

Comment

I went to the web site, and even clicked on the free scan, and nothing happened. I got a 404 error. Did she actually download the software? Maybe it tried to install itself in wine. Does she have wine installed?

Comment

Originally posted by raffytaffy
                  Umm...I forgot to mention she is running Kubuntu, and got this lol
                  She got a Windows virus on Linux?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Maybe it was able to screw up the browser. If you think that might be the case, you can simply
                  Code:
                  sudo apt-get remove --purge firefox
                  and then re-install it. And set it up from scratch.

Comment

my GF gets this launched every now and again when she is doing her MySpace stuff.
                    she's running kubuntu 8.04 and there is no virus or other malware on her machine even after getting the pop up a few times, i would not go there w/ a windoze machine gonna have a bad time
                    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I'm going to say that the problem is not on her machine. She is clicking on a link, probably in myspace, that has been hijacked. The problem is on the host of the site she tried to access.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                        I'm going to say that the problem is not on her machine. She is clicking on a link, probably in myspace, that has been hijacked. The problem is on the host of the site she tried to access.
                        completely agree from my experence of this
                        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
                        X