This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Python using too much CPU

When I started my machine this morning, I saw that python is using over 80% of my CPU! The process table shows

jon 6177 6091 96 07:41 ? 00:23:20 python /usr/bin/hp-systray
    jon 6183 6091 0 07:41 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/kblueplugd

and process 6091 is

jon 6091 1 0 07:41 ? 00:00:00 kdeinit Running...

I upgraded several days ago to Gutsy, but didn't see this until yesterday, when I added mediubuntu to the source list in order to install mplayer.

Did I do a booboo there? Is mediubuntu to be avoided?

And what the %^&*( is python doing?
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Re: Python using too much CPU

Upgraded to GUtsy or to Intrepid? (8.10)

The bluetoth stack has been very problematic lately:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...th/+bug/279983
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ce/+bug/280997

The HP Applet, not sure why it would be an issue, but I doubt it's an issue with python per se. A lot of the software in a modern Linux issue uses python. In fact:
    http://teams.debian.net/lurker/messa...d3effc.en.html

I don't think medibuntu is an issue, either. I have used it regularly the last few yeears. In short, it's probably an issue with the hp systray and another one with blue tooth (that you may want to disable if you don't need it)

Comment

I updated to Gutsy on Tuesday and installed an HP printer on Thursday. It's

python /usr/bin/hp-systray

which is using the CPU:

F S UID PID PPID C PRI NI ADDR SZ WCHAN RSS PSR STIME TTY TIME CMD
      0 R jon 6231 6156 97 80 0 - 9676 - 19784 0 08:16 ? 00:20:04 python /usr/bin/hp-systray
      0 S jon 6235 6156 0 80 0 - 8663 - 10880 0 08:16 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/kblueplugd
      jon 6156 1 0 08:16 ? 00:00:00 kdeinit Running...

So what's going on? The printer isn't even turned on. Is there a way to make it shut up or to kill it and then restart it if I need the printer?

Thanks a lot for your help.
      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

I would just unistall hplip. You should be able to print anyway. To find out what program provides a file, you just do

Code:
        grisell: ~> dpkg -S /usr/bin/hp-systray
        hplip: /usr/bin/hp-systray
        hplip is a good thing to have, I love it (you can see how much ink there is left, etc), but AFAIK cups still lets you print without it.

Also, you may be able to find a more recent hplip version in Gusty-backports. Gutsy is an year old now :-)

Comment

As you say, hplip is helpful. I have installed the latest version available on HP's web site, 2.8.10. I need it for my printer, an F2280 All-in-One. Btw, the printer works very well in these circumstances.

Comment

Yes, Kudos to HP for the Linux support. I always vote with my wallet. My printer money goes to HP, too, I have an HP F380 All In One, also working perfectly!

Comment

Just thought I'd add to this thread,
              Using Kubuntu 8.04, installed an HP F42xx All-In-One, installed the latest offering from HP (2.8.12) and now Python is taking all spare processor time, apps still run as before, but the CPU speed throttling (PowerNow) permanently runs at full speed.

I can kill Python and the CPU speed drops to idle, I can also still print; so I presume Python is just being used for device detection...

Comment

Working...
              X