This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

External Hard Drive

I have just bought a Western Digital external USB hard drive to use as a backup. Unfortunately on plugging it in it is not recognised. What do I need to do to use it. Other USB devices work OK and are recognised.

Re: External Hard Drive

what version of kubuntu are u running ?
    and do u know the file system on the USB device?
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Also, is the drive formated? Can you plug it in, type "dmesg" into a shell and post the output?
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

@DaveB: I also have a WD external usb hard drive. It is automagically recognized by Kubuntu Hardy (I assume you're using Hardy because that's the forum in which you posted, although I would have thought that Hardware Support would have been more appropriate than Software support.) However, until recently it was a real PITA to get it mounted, i.e. keep it plugged in at all times, power it down, power up. Then I found the WAY. I installed a panel applet called "Storage Media". It sticks a little picture of a USB plug on your panel for each attached USB media device. Click on it and you get a little menu one item on which is "mount".

Comment

I am using Kubuntu 8.04. Don't know what is on the WD drive. Will now try all your suggestions. Many thanks

Comment

Have installed the panel applet 'storage media' Unfortunately while it recognises eg a USB memory stick it doesn't recognise my external drive!! only shows a floppy drive!

Comment

That's strange. As I said, if it is turned on, my WD external drive is recognized. immediately. Did you have it switched on at boot? I do.

Comment

Have you done the dmesg?
                Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Have just done the dmesg are you sure you want such an enormous 'file'. Yes drive was plugg ed in

Comment

No, I don't want the whole output - thanks.

Unplug the drive and run dmesg. Now copy only the last few lines pertinent to the change and post them. Please do the same again after having plugged the drive in.

Idea - you can run dmesg|tail and paste the whole output (only 10 lines).

Comment

Here is the info
                      david@david-desktop:~$ dmesg|tail
                      [ 111.864537] SoftMAC: Open Authentication completed with 00:12:cf:02:58:ab
                      [ 113.207713] eth1: no IPv6 routers present
                      [ 115.861119] SoftMAC: Open Authentication completed with 00:12:cf:02:58:ab
                      [ 116.690356] SoftMAC: Open Authentication completed with 00:12:cf:02:58:ab
                      [ 120.698221] SoftMAC: Open Authentication completed with 00:12:cf:02:58:ab
                      [ 123.549438] SoftMAC: Open Authentication completed with 00:12:cf:02:58:ab
                      [ 123.555137] SoftMAC: Open Authentication completed with 00:12:cf:02:58:ab
                      [ 125.426833] SoftMAC: Open Authentication completed with 00:12:cf:02:58:ab
                      [ 295.681781] usb 4-4: USB disconnect, address 3
                      [ 295.682411] usblp0: removed
                      david@david-desktop:~$
                      Many thanks
                      Dave B

Comment

Coolio Looks like you removed it there. Now plug it in again, run the same command and let's have the result...

Comment

No it was and still is plugged in! Have repeated it with same result!

Comment

Most interesting. What might these two lines be referring to in that case?
                            [ 295.681781] usb 4-4: USB disconnect, address 3
                            [ 295.682411] usblp0: removed
                            Did you unplug another usb device? dmesg tells us when it registers usb devices and the like. We want dmesg to register both changes - plug in and unplug. So run dmesg|tail twice, first directly after you've unplugged the device and again directly after you've plugged it in and post both outputs.

Plugging in is especially important as dmesg also tells us the mount point.

Comment

Here are the two outputs
                              Plugged in
                              [ 242.420264] usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
                              [ 242.550643] usb 3-1: USB disconnect, address 103
                              [ 242.899782] usb 3-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 104
                              [ 242.944133] usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
                              [ 243.060235] usb 3-1: USB disconnect, address 104
                              [ 243.408637] usb 3-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 105
                              [ 243.452684] usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
                              [ 243.583814] usb 3-1: USB disconnect, address 105
                              [ 243.931814] usb 3-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 106
                              [ 243.976221] usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choi
                              unplugged
                              [ 257.728508] usb 3-1: USB disconnect, address 6
                              [ 258.110504] usb 3-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
                              [ 258.154717] usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
                              [ 258.265660] usb 3-1: USB disconnect, address 7
                              [ 258.614032] usb 3-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 8
                              [ 258.658281] usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
                              [ 258.789030] usb 3-1: USB disconnect, address 8
                              [ 259.137873] usb 3-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 9
                              [ 259.181816] usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
                              [ 259.312527] usb 3-1: USB disconnect, address 9

Comment

Working...
                              X