X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED - no frames around windows :(

The title says it all.

History: a beautifully set up KDE 3.5.9 in pristine condition on a new install. I copied the /home directory onto a stick and transferred it to another new install. Everything works BUT NO FRAMES :P

Does anybody know which file is responsible for this? Or any other ideas for a work-around?
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Re: no frames around windows

Are you using compiz?

Comment

I'm a frayed knot. However, I was very surprised to see something to with desktop effects in system settings, which of course I played. But I am pretty sure I disabled it before copying everything onto the stick.

Now, if you happen to know which file is responsible...
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

You have the infamous "missing window decorations" problem. It is a phenomenon of compositing (Compiz) and "Desktop Effects". You have to have GLX enabled to run those things.

Google "missing window decorations" and you'll get an eyeful.

Comment

Thanks dibl,

I didn't think it could be 'cos I didn't enable compiz... I'll see what google comes up with and if it makes any sense.

Comment

I think your Kubuntu "Desktop Effects" also is based on compositing and glx.

If you want to try something, open a Konsole window and enter
            Code:
            kwin --replace
            and see if the decorations come back.

Comment

Yeah, cheers!

Wouldn't you know it, the geezer on the KDE forum said exactly the same thing Thanks a ton dibl. What a marvel!

Comment

Originally posted by toad

the geezer on the KDE forum said exactly the same thing
                He's in the same geezer club as me.

Comment

Working...
                X