X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update/Upgrade

Hello

After running "sudo apt-get update" where there is absolutely no problem, I run the command that usually follows "sudo apt-get upgrade" and I encounter the following error:

Code:
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    (Reading database ... 180614 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace linux-image-2.6.24-21-generic 2.6.24-21.42 (using .../linux-image-2.6.24-21-generic_2.6.24-21.43_i386.deb) ...
    Done.
    Unpacking replacement linux-image-2.6.24-21-generic ...
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.24-21-generic_2.6.24-21.43_i386.deb (--unpack):
     failed in buffer_write(fd) (10, ret=-1): backend dpkg-deb during `./boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-21-generic': No space left on device
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Running postrm hook script /sbin/update-grub.
    Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
    Searching for default file ... found: /boot/grub/default
    Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
    Found kernel: /vmlinuz-2.6.24-21-generic
    Found kernel: /vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic
    Found kernel: /vmlinuz-2.6.24-18-generic
    Found kernel: /vmlinuz-2.6.24-17-generic
    Found kernel: /vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic
    Found kernel: /memtest86+.bin
    Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done

Errors were encountered while processing:
     /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.24-21-generic_2.6.24-21.43_i386.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

What shall I do to fix this?

Re: Update/Upgrade

The problem is identified for you in the output in the following two lines:
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.24-21-generic_2.6.24-21.43_i386.deb (--unpack):
    failed in buffer_write(fd) (10, ret=-1): backend dpkg-deb during `./boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-21-generic': No space left on device
    You have run out of space in the root directory. In the console, type:
    Code:
    df -hTxtmpfs
    Look at the reported percentage of used space ( Use% ) for your root ( / ) partition. It's likely going to show 100% or very close to it. You need to do some house cleaning to remove unneeded files. You can do this with the following commands, also typed in the console:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    sudo apt-clean
    Then run the df -hTxtmpfs command again and see how much space you regained. You should also note the size ( Size ) of the root partition you created. Mine is set to 8G.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you very much.

How much /boot should be in size? What do you recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeks
        There's your problem - the /boot directory is full.

If you do not have a separate /boot partition, you can free up some disc space any way you like.

If you do have a separate /boot partition, you should uninstall old kernel images to make space (for various reasons this is not done automatically

Code:
        sudo apt-get remove linux-image-2.6.24-[b]16[/b]-generic
        will remove your oldest kernel. You also have ones with the bolded number as 17, 18, and 19; you could ditch them too if you want, you probably don't need them.

I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Working...
        X