X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some quick questions re remote access

These should be yes and no type answers I hope

Firstly I operate kubuntu 8.04 here at home (works a treat too!) and windows xp at work (yawn!)

I would like to be able to remotely access my home pc whilst at work but I would need to do this over the internet as I cannot load any software on my windows pc at work ( in case it might become useful or anything!)

A Is there a easy method I can use that will let me do the following remotely

1 Get all my updates running via konsole
    2 Check my email in kontact ( we have a webmail ban at work )
    3 Get a few downloads started to be ready for when I come home
    er um and do a bit of fiddling too

B Would I need to disable a firewall here?

C Is it actually worth doing...ie is it going to be soooo sloooooow that I might as well not bother

There you go ...three questions 8)
    Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Re: Some quick questions re remote access

Not sure about XP - can you install stuff on there?

If you can, you can run your home PC as if you were actually sitting in front of it using NXNoMachine! Just google it
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

nope no install possible...bloody IT have blocked it with admin rights only ...grump!

Any other ideas?
      Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

Have you got any ssh software on there? If not you are buggered - or take your laptop to work
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I use PuTTY at work; it should run from a thumb drive. I set ssh to use port 443 (https) instead of 22. Most corporate firewalls leave 80 and 443 open. I have to check the IP every morning before I leave (since it's dynamic), but other than that, it works well for console access. I also have ssh set to allow only encrypted RSA logins.
          Linux user #199542<br />WARNING:Got Unsolicited BITE_REPLY

Comment

Great post, riffraff! And on the ip address front - have you heard of dyndns? No more ip checking and it's free.

Comment

thanks for that both of you

Comment

Originally posted by andybleaden
                nope no install possible...bloody IT have blocked it with admin rights only ...grump!
                Keep in mind that IT has done that for a reason, probably not just to thwart you, they have to look after the security of the network for the company. It can become very difficult to keep a network running smoothly and securely when users start installing whatever they choose. Can be a nightmare trying to learn about new unsupported apps in many IT departments especially where they are "run off their feet" trying to support users Windows questions and mistakes. It's quite possible that they would make an exception for you since you seem to know what you are doing, if you asked first, they might even be willing to help.

Another thing to consider is company policy, in some places, working around policy can be a termination offence. I'd suggest this is something you should check first to protect your job.

Comment

I know I know...still makes me grumpy though!

Comment

This can be done, provided your work computers have Java plugin in a web browser.

NX, which should be the best performing option, has a 'Web Companion'. It is proprietary software though; a free server exists but I don't know if it works with the web companion.

VNC, which may perform less well, but should be tolerable, also has a java viewer. It has its own web server too, meaning you don't need to set up apache or suchlike.

In either case you have a choice of accessing the same desktop you use when sitting in front of your home machine, or a separate one. The former is probably better, though I'm not sure what happens if you're not logged in first.

As has been said, using it to work around the no email policy may not be allowed. Can you not setup your email client on WinXP to check other accounts?

I can't remember the details - I've had the VNC one myself, and am going to have a go about the NX method soonish. Certainly VNC way was not hard to get going. But it is very much possible.
                    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

An

Code:
                      apt-cache search vnc
                      comes up with 45 files... There's a bunch of tightvnc stuff but also vnc4, x11vnc, krdc, krfb (the latter two probably for linux-linux only?), etc.

Which VNC package would you recommend/do you have experience with - also for linux to linux?

Comment

x11vnc is what I used - it's specifically for accessing the same desktop you use locally. That's probably what you want if you're the only user.

Then you can probably use either of the java viewers.

beyond that...I forgot how I did it sorry. I can't experiment until monday because there's only one computer where I am now. I'm not going to make the mistake of connecting to my own local screen again!
                        I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

wow thanks for getting back with all of that. i will start this carefully this week

Comment

www.vnc.com also has a standalone viewer (you don't have to install) for win XP...I find it works better (ok...faster) than the java client.
                            mm0
                            Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Working...
                            X