This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Website Design

I recently purchased the domain http://operation420.net and can setup FTP access to add files to it.

I was wondering, is there a free open source program I can use to make websites (like what Frontpage does, but you don't have to pay for it).

So I would use that software and then FTP the files it makes to the server and the site would be made.

I wish to be able to work on my site (and subsites) form Windows and Ubuntu and not be tied down to either OS!
    My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Website Design

Quanta Plus, i recommend it highly.

It is in the repositories, and comes with KLinkstatus by default, and a couple or three other addons which are also available via Adept or Synaptic.

Have Fun.

Edit:
    Their page is here: http://quanta.kdewebdev.org/

Comment

Does it run on Windows too?
      My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I don't know, i only use Windows for playing games but on the site i linked to it says:
        [ ... ]
        In the area of commercial web development tools we already have a number of users saying we top the leading Windows development tools.
        [ ... ]

Comment

And it says they are going outside the open source world (although everything should be open) but I don't see anything for windows on the download page.

Comment

If you are looking at wysiwyg (like Frontpage) Kompozer is quite cross-platform. It is rather simple to use (and rather simple in the feature department compared to FP) but it does work well, and even has direct ftp uploading.

Comment

Seems good, there is the "win32 tarball" (although it's extension is ZIP) and the Debian Package for *buntu.

Comment

The web sites I run are very simple. And I use Kompozer, or SeaMonkey to maintain them. They both have a built in publishing feature that makes uploading your pages painless. I like Kompzer's a little better. You can also use FireFTP, and extension for Firefox.

Comment

Definitely KompoZer. You'll thank us later. :P

You can get a Windows executable here...
                  http://ww2.coastal.edu/jcsteele/komp...7.10-setup.exe

Linux, it should be right in Adept/Synaptic.

Comment

I have an FTP program I can use, I just need the program.

So lets say I start making the site in Windows, could I then make changes to it from Ubuntu?

Comment

Absolutely! Html files can be read and edited on either system.

Comment

Okay and so is this program better than Bluefish (which someone just made an unofficial windows version of)?

Comment

bluefish and quanta are both very good, but are not wysiwyg editors, they are more or less text editors on steriods with a focus on html/php/etc. They do make code editing extremely easy, but you still need to know html a bit

kompzer is easier to use and doesn't require much html knowledge

you can edit html with one tool on windows, and use another tool in linux (for the most part - editing FP created pages is a major hassle in my experience)

Comment

I am running the Windows verson of Kompozer and it looks like Front page. There are the tabs at the bottom to view normal, souce code, and preview.

How would I like apply a template so my site is not just "text on a piece of paper" It's plain. Like a background and having the text positioned.

Comment

Originally posted by RealG187
                              How would I like apply a template so my site is not just "text on a piece of paper" It's plain. Like a background and having the text positioned.
                              Start by reading the documentation and online help.
                              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                              X