This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shutdown doesn't work after ATI drivers

I have an older machine running Kubuntu 8.04.1. It's so old it only has AGP graphics, and the video card is an ATI Radeon x1650 Pro. Everything was fine, but after I installed the ATI proprietary Linux drivers, the machine will not shut itself down. Clicking the "Shutdown" button in Kubuntu results in a series of shutdown-related activities, but at the end, I see a blank screen and nothing else happens. The machine never turns itself off.

Is there a fix, or some way to drop to the command line & do shutdown from there?

I don't know what version of the ATI Linux drivers I have, but will look if that would help.

Re: Shutdown doesn't work after ATI drivers

Maybe it is the atieventsd problem > Solutions to the atieventsd problem

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

You could also try using the open source drivers, which now support your card. In fact, intrepid has desktop effects with the X1xxx radeons out-of-the-box.

Comment

Supposing I wanted to do that, would I have to uninstall the ATI proprietary drivers first?

Comment

yes, i think so.
          i'm not sure if the latest open source radeon drivers are in hardy though (open source support for X1xxx is pretty new). Feel like upgrading to Intrepid..?

Comment

Sure, I just need to figure out how to do so whilst preserving all the stuff (non-default apps, bookmarks, etc.) I've accumulated whilst in 8.04.1. It shouldn't be that hard, as I have /home on its own partition. I'm sure my old machine will be perfectly happy with the new Kubuntu.

I didn't know Intrepid Ibex was available already. I've been waiting for it to come out so I could try it on my other machine, which has so far rejected everything newer than Kubuntu 7.04 & 7.10.

So where can I get the new Kubuntu?

Comment

in less than 24 hours, kubuntu 8.10 will be up on www.kubuntu.org ! (scheduled release is 30/10)

Comment

Groovy. I'll get the 64-bit Live CD torrent & run it all day today, if it's available before I have to leave for work.

Comment

Working...
                X