This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: howto install openoffice3

If you are using the PPA method and don't like that ugly ubuntu ooo splash have a look here:
    http://adventuresinubuntu.blogspot.c...sh-screen.html
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

What a find, Fintan! Very nice.

BTW, some time ago I stumbled across a nice explanation of KDE4 setup files by either yourself or rog131. I am painfully aware, that we do not have access to a wiki here, but a collection of the how and why and whereabouts of rc and config files would be dead useful.

Coming to think of it, I could cook up a wiki together with a little webspace... (if I can get my act together - am just rotating after taking the plunge last night and upgrading to 8.10)

Do you remember the link, know which post I'm talking about?
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I am not sure maybe one of these?
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...ic=3094578.150

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3095130.0

They are both more or less redundant now since kde4 is advancing so nicely
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by divide0
          Yeah, I noticed they were for intrepid. Thought I'd try them anyways...

And I had fixed the error already by editing the etc/apt/sources.list by the time you posted. Thanks for the help anyway! I'm still looking for other cases of the Open Office 3 registration bug on other forums, but I have yet to find anything...
          Did you find something? I experience the same problem.

Comment

I am not so fond of the Intrepid version of OOo3 - first we get that damn ugly splash screen, although Fintan's link will sort that out -
            Originally posted by Fintan
            If you are using the PPA method and don't like that ugly ubuntu ooo splash have a look here:
            http://adventuresinubuntu.blogspot.c...sh-screen.html
            It also won't remember where in a document I was and always insists on not centring the view
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by nilsA
              Yeah, I noticed they were for intrepid. Thought I'd try them anyways...

And I had fixed the error already by editing the etc/apt/sources.list by the time you posted. Thanks for the help anyway! I'm still looking for other cases of the Open Office 3 registration bug on other forums, but I have yet to find anything...
              Did you find something? I experience the same problem.
              *sigh* I'm still looking...although I'm thinking about simply waiting for the next version. I have at least reported the bug to Sun Microsystems...they haven't replied.
              Sony Vaio VGN NR260E<br />Linux Kubuntu 9.04\Windoze 7 Professional<br /><br />Sony Vaio VPCF1190X<br />Linux Kubuntu 10.04/Windoze 7 Home Premium<br /><br />Linux user #478627

Comment

*sigh* I'm still looking...although I'm thinking about simply waiting for the next version. I have at least reported the bug to Sun Microsystems...they haven't replied.

I got a version ending in 958 from the Openoffice.org download site.
                Then I tried one from here:

http://ftp.linux.cz/pub/localization...00_m9/Build-2/

did remove OO 3.0 in Adept and in terminal:

Code:
                sudo apt-get remove openoffice.or*
                (probably not necessary?)

and installed the 958 [EDIT of number here] version.

No other probplem than this old han man managed to download esperanto

Comment

Which one did you try exactly? I downloaded one of the files in the above link, installed it, and am STILL getting the registration bug. ...and I am quite confused on this "958" business...I hope I'm not having a mental lapse. It's been a long day...
                  Sony Vaio VGN NR260E<br />Linux Kubuntu 9.04\Windoze 7 Professional<br /><br />Sony Vaio VPCF1190X<br />Linux Kubuntu 10.04/Windoze 7 Home Premium<br /><br />Linux user #478627

Comment

Which one did you try exactly? I downloaded one of the files in the above link, installed it, and am STILL getting the registration bug. ...and I am quite confused on this "9358" business...I hope I'm not having a mental lapse. It's been a long day...
                    Now I see that I was tired when I wrote the post.

I had that problem with the verision on the OpenOffice.org web site. That ended with 9354.

The link in my last post will give you 9358.

It seems to me that a thorough removal of the old versions is necessary. I forgot to mention that I ran this twice in order to remove 2.4:

Code:
                    sudo apt-get remove openoffice.or*
                    Then I used adept to remove everything 3.0 - including the desktop integration.

Only then did I install the 3.0.

Why OpenOffice.org is giving an older version than the cz mirror I have no clue.

Comment

Originally posted by nilsA

The link in my last post will give you 9358.
                      Odd ....

I followed toad's original guidance in the first post (downloaded .deb file from their web site), without doing anything to OOO 2.4, and I ended up with a perfect OOO 3 (9358 build) installation, including the pretty blue splash. I haven't worked with anything but the spreadsheet yet, so I can't comment on bugs in the word processor.

Comment

It took awhile to find the right one for an intel processor (it was near the bottom), but I've just installed this build, and everything went smoothly!

Comment

This morning (after two days absence) I updated and found my OOo 2.4 replaced with 3.0 which I had already installed. Now I don't want to have two version of the same program. What is the best way to uninstall one version of OOo 3.0 without causing any problems to the other? (And still be able to update with all other programs)
                          HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

You sure (I'm not doubting you, just surprised)? How did you install OOo3? Have you changed your repos since?

Anyway, first thing would be to find out which packages you got on your system:

Code:
                            sudo dpkg -l|grep openoffice

Comment

I had OO 2.4 with my CD install, then installed 3.0 as per instructions on page 1 of this forum. I added the ppa.launchpad. lines to my /etc/apt/sources.list but that didn't work, so got the .deb from the location indicated and installed it from that. No problems. I was running with one version of 2.4 and one version of 3.0
                              Recently, the ppa.launchpad must have put the packages back in and I then had the 2.4 upgraded to 3.0.0.6 while the one I had downloaded was 3.0.0.9 but once the two were there, neither would work. I unistalled the 3.0.0.9 and still couldn't get the 3.0.0.6 to work. I uninstalled both and re-installed and now have one working OO.
                              HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Yes, I forget which thread, but this has been discussed and solved. The package openoffice.org-kde is at fault in the launchpad repos. Uninstall that and you can run openoffice.

This does not apply to openoffice installs from debs.

Comment

Working...
                                X