This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: howto install openoffice3

The support in this forum rocks! I started watching threads for a solution, and though I'd ask if nothing surfaced in a few days....
    Also have 64 bit, thanks to dibl and Fintan I now have it installed, with shortcuts and correct associations!

Thanks guys!

Comment

You are welcome
      Don't forget toad,he started it
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

An interesting little extra - 9 Must-Have OpenOffice Extensions - http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/9-must-...ce-extensions/
        "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Nice link arochester, ta!

One thing that is bothering me is that OOo3 wantonly looses focus (8.04 with KDE4). Anybody experiencing the same thing? Does 8.10 fix it?

And Fintan, when you're online again - somebody needs your help http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...;topicseen#new
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

@toad: thx for these quick instruction... OOO3 installs and runs fine on my 64bit

However, with my install of II 8.1, I seem to have the OO "ugly font" problem. Personally, I use Verdana as my base font for menus, etc.

1. I have tried the OO tools > options > fonts > Apply Replacement Table > ... substitute Andale Sans UI with Verdana. This doesn't work

2. I found in the past that it was also necessary to install the kcontrol package alongside systemsettings for those programs that still used configs created by kcontrol, BUT kcontrol is no longer an available package with 8.1.

3. I have already adjusted the settings for "GTK Styles and fonts" in systemsettings - doesn't have any effect on OO

Is there another way around changing the system / menu fonts used by OO?

Thx for any assistance

tonyj
            Confucius says: If you enjoy your work, then you never have to work another day in your life.

Comment

Have you enabled the medibuntu repo and done a
              Code:
              sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts ttf-liberation
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Yes.. ms corefonts is installed. I'm not sure why you are suggesting ttf-liberation, but I installed that anyway.

I also tried substituting the "Liberation Sans" font for "Andale Sans UI" (thinking that's what you meant).

Unfortuantely, it made no difference. It doesn't matter what I set the "Subsitute Font" to be... nothing gets changed from the default font shipped with OO.
                Confucius says: If you enjoy your work, then you never have to work another day in your life.

Comment

It was, admittedly, a shot in the dark

Is the font in OOo3 different to the one on your desktop?

Sorry, cannot help you further

Comment

Thanx for your help and comments... appreciated.

Yes, OOo3 is the only app that doesn't pick up the font setting in systemsettings > GTK Styles and Fonts. Firefox3 plays nicely, and OOo2.4 is also happy...

And thanx for introducing me to ttf-liberation... it looks great at small point size (without anti-aliasing) too.

Comment

GTK styles and fonts? That may be the cause - try the default KDE or QT.

Comment

Ok.. found solution:

1. Edit the file /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice to include the following as the first command at the top of the file:

Code:
                        export OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP="gnome"
                        2. Point the OOo3 menu item to /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice (rather than soffice.bin)

THEN, whatever font you choose in systemsettings > GTK Fonts and Styles will be used by OO as its User Interface font.

I think it important to run "soffice" rather than "soffice.bin", as it does some other housekeeping and preliminary environmental stuff before calling the soffice binary at the end anyway.

- tony

Comment

Ok lads, can anybody confirm this so I can change the howto?

Also tonyj, were you not able to include that command in soffice.bin?

Comment

Can't edit soffice.bin It's a binary.

Also note that I am using II 8.1 What I have done may, or may not, work with HH 8.04. I also didn't install the desktop-integration/*.deb because I got a truck load of dpkg errors, and I don't know if a successful install of that may have fixed my problem first.

Comment

Thanks tonyj - soffice.bin a binary, cos it is! Do!!!

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                                b) for 64 bit architecture:
                                Code:
                                sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
                                followed by
                                Code:
                                sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i *.deb
                                There are 64-bit deb's available so the most prefereded choice is to use them instead. You can find them here:

ftp://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/pub/openoffice/stable/3.0.0/

Comment

Working...
                                X