This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: howto install openoffice3

If you remove openoffice.org-kde, you are left with a hideously ugly-looking GUI. I have tried removing all instances of OOo and installed using the official packages (not the ubuntu repository). I had the same problem with the database recovery error/loop. Finally, I gave up and installed the Windows version in Wine. Now it works great.

Comment

I've read somewhere that this issue has been resolved. Can anybody confirm so I can change the first post, please? I can't check 'cos I'm not on Kubuntu any more...
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

My OOO 3 stuff continues to open with the blue OOO3 theme, and looks fine. It's still Build 9358, installed from the Sun downloaded .deb, as per your original post.

Comment

Thanks, dibl. If my memory serves me well the problem only occurred if you used the repo version.
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by sjhstorm
            Just to add that if you install the desktop-integration deb as below( after step 3), it will populate the menus with all the correct icons etc.
            a/b/c/OOO300_m9_native_packed-1_en-US.9358/DEBS/desktop-integration/openoffice.org3.0-debian-menus_3.0-9354_all.deb
            I don't understand this bit
            Where did you get desktop integration from? In my folder there is only:

DEBS licenses readmes update

My whole installation on64bit system went OK, but how to add easily new Openoffice in place of old one?

And one more question - Shouldn't old one be removed after/before installing new one ?
            Kubuntu Karmic Koala AMD64bit Acer Aspire 7520

Comment

Here is what I did to install OO3.
              I am not using Kubuntu any more but this is how I did it.

Remove OO2
              sudo apt-get remove openoffice.org-core

Open the folder ware you untared 003 and cd into the deb folder, There is another folder in the deb folder that has the oo3 menu install.

Install OO3 from deb
              sudo dpkg -i -R .

Remove OO3
              sudo apt-get remove ooobasis3.0-* openoffice.org3* openoffice.org-debian-menus

Install OO2.4
              sudo apt-get install openoffice.org

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1000861

~/rm -rv .openoffic*
              ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

Hi,

there is no need to remove version 2 since version 3 will install into opt.

Birkopf, so you installed everything okay but are now lacking the entry in Kmenu? If so, right click on Kmenu, chose menu editor and take it from there. For a more detailed answer we need a more detailed problem description

BTW, the text you quoted is by sjhstorm so you may want to pm him/her rather than me

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                  Birkopf, so you installed everything okay but are now lacking the entry in Kmenu? If so, right click on Kmenu, chose menu editor and take it from there. For a more detailed answer we need a more detailed problem description
                  yeah... mess everywhere :-)
                  But I started with you so I want to stay faithful

When I am going to KMenu Editor I have for example Word Processor. There is:

Command: ooffice -writer %U
                  Work Path: [empty]

and few more things...

What should I write and in which window to replace old one with new one ?

PS - divide0 - thank you for answer !

Comment

So where do you go wrong with this:

5. Right click on your K menu button and select kmenueditor. Insert a new item under office, give it a nice openoffice icon and paste the following into the command line: /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin

Comment

So where do you go wrong with this:

5. Right click on your K menu button and select kmenueditor. Insert a new item under office, give it a nice openoffice icon and paste the following into the command line: /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin
                      1) What does it mean=how to do it: Insert a new item under office ?

Comment

You right click kmenu - menu editor - office - new item (on the toolbar) - and now you have an input mask asking you the name, description, comment and command. Under name you put OOo3 (or whatever you fancy), you click on the question mark to select an icon and paste /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin into Command.

Does that make sense?

Comment

Does that make sense?
                          Yes. Now it does. Before I was trying all the time replace Word, Spreadsheet, etc manually one-by-one. Now whole OO3 starts from one created link.

So what about that OO2 and installing in opt/ ?
                          Can you explain as well ? Shall I remove it? I don't like to keep unnecessary things on HDD.

Comment

Glad it worked

If I were you I'd keep OOo2 around for a while until you tested the new version properly. After that go into adept and remove 2.4 from there.

Comment

If I were you I'd keep OOo2 around for a while until you tested the new version properly. After that go into adept and remove 2.4 from there.
                              Thanks.

How to change file associations ? (Never done it under linux)
                              When I am clicking on file for example *.odt or *.ods it's opening still by default from Open Office 2.4

Comment

Successfully upgraded to OOo 3.0.1, Build 9379.

Upon opening OOo Calc today, it offered an upgrade -- I clicked the little green pile of lizard doo-doo. It downloaded a tarball to my /home/dibl/Desktop directory. I clicked "Install" and it immediately closed down OOo and went away.

Hmmmm.

So, I made a temporary directory /tmp/ooo, untarred and installed from there. Very similar to the original installation -- it made a directory and one of the subdirectories was named "DEBS" and in that one I did this:

Code:
                                sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i *.deb
                                Everything appears to have worked as intended, although the path to success was a little roundabout.

Comment

Working...
                                X