This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adept and apt-get not working "Read error"

Greetings gang, I've got a doozy. This evening I noticed there were some 16 updates and went to install them, but did something stupid and clicked the Adept notifier twice, which spawned 2 sets of windows. I panicked and instead of just waiting for one to get stuck because the dpkg database was busy, I frantically tried to close one of them, hoping I'd catch it before it got off the ground.

Long story short (too late): Now the dpkg database is messed up and neither Adept nor apt-get will work. apt-get tells me:
    Reading package lists... Error!
    E: Read error - read (5 Input/output error)
    E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

..and Adept gives me some stupid instruction to run "apt-setup" and then "apt-get update." Neither of which work.
    I've searched here and on the web and tried clean, autoclean, update, upgrade, autoremove to no avail.

Got any ideas? If I have to nuke the dpkg files and just reload everything (including packages) that's fine, I'll do it.
    I distrust morning people, largely because I suspect them of getting together early one day while the rest of us were asleep and setting up the rules of civilization.

Re: Adept and apt-get not working "Read error"

To fix Adept errors:
    Open a console and type:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    should fix it, else continue with
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks, Snowhog! I could have sworn I tried all that, but it worked today where it didn't last night. I guess a fresh reboot and a clear head help!
      I distrust morning people, largely because I suspect them of getting together early one day while the rest of us were asleep and setting up the rules of civilization.

Comment

Well, regardless, it worked.

Happy to have assisted in any useful way.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X