Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tried to get flash installed, that didnt work, now firefox is messed up!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tried to get flash installed, that didnt work, now firefox is messed up!

please help... i know someone else already posted a similar problem but the fix that was posted didnt work for me.

i tried to go to youtube and the videos dont play, i tried to install flash from adobes web site, i think i installed it right (im brand new to anything linux) but no videos will play, and now my back, foward, reload, and cancel buttons are all greyed out on firefox.

i cant tell you how much this agitates me. i was throughly enjoying kubuntu and even spreading the linux gospel when this bull**** had to happen. please someone out there help!!!

i have kubuntu hardy heron and firefox 3.0.1. im not sure what other info to post.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Re: tried to get flash installed, that didnt work, now firefox is messed up!

Midas,

Welcome to Linux and Kubuntu!

Not knowing what instructions you tried to follow...here is an 'official' offering

http://ubuntusite.com/installing-med...kubuntu-hardy/

God bless
    Doug
    Malachi 3:10 ESV <br />...says the LORD of hosts... I will not open...windows...for you...<br /><br />Linux user since 2001 pda; 2006 lappy

Comment

ok i just did that and nothing...

in the adept manager when i search for flash, it says that the adobe-flashplugin is installed.

does anyone else have any suggestions? the more i search for an answer the more it seems like im not going to get one.

Comment

Are you by any chance running NoScript or Adblock Plus?

If you are, you have to allow certain sites.

In the Firefox address bar, type: aboutlugins and tell us what flash plugins there are in the list.

Comment

i didnt install noscript or adblocker plus. but not sure if they come with kubuntu or not.

when i typed in aboutlugins her is what i got -

Default Plugin

File name: libnullplugin.so
          The default plugin handles plugin data for mimetypes and extensions that are not specified and facilitates downloading of new plugins.

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
          * All Types .* no

Demo Print Plugin for unix/linux

File name: libunixprintplugin.so
          The demo print plugin for unix.

application/x-print-unix-nsplugin Demo Print Plugin for Unix/Linux .pnt Yes

thank you btw for helping me with this it is much appreciated.

Comment

It doesn't look to me as though you've got everything installed, go here: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...ShockwaveFlash and download the .tar.gz for Linux. Not the .deb, that's for 4.0

Un-zip it, go into the extracted directory, open a console, and drag the flashplayer.installer into the console.

Answer yes to the questions.

That should work, but it will probably pay you to re-boot.

Comment

Originally posted by aged hippy
              It doesn't look to me as though you've got everything installed, go here: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...ShockwaveFlash and download the .tar.gz for Linux. Not the .deb, that's for 4.0

Un-zip it, go into the extracted directory, open a console, and drag the flashplayer.installer into the console.

Answer yes to the questions.

That should work, but it will probably pay you to re-boot.

i did that however it didnt ask me any questions...

i rebooted, and no video and my ff buttons are sill greyed out.

Comment

What do you mean "my ff buttons are sill greyed out", which buttons?

Edited:
                Re-reading.... your Firefox Back, Forward, & Reload buttons?
                something seems to be drastically wrong.

What does aboutlugins say now?

Comment

Originally posted by midas
                  i didnt install noscript or adblocker plus. but not sure if they come with kubuntu or not.

aboutlugins -

Default Plugin

File name: libnullplugin.so
                  The default plugin handles plugin data for mimetypes and extensions that are not specified and facilitates downloading of new plugins.

* All Types .* no

Demo Print Plugin for unix/linux

File name: libunixprintplugin.so
                  The demo print plugin for unix.

application/x-print-unix-nsplugin Demo Print Plugin for Unix/Linux .pnt Yes

everything looks just like this. and yes my back, foward reload and stop buttons are greyed out. also, the buttons getting greyed out are a recent development that happened after i tried (unsuccessfully) to reinstall adobe flash player.

Comment

In that case, i would be inclined to tell Adept to Remove and Purge it, then when it's done that, to rename the directory, then re-install it anew.

Comment

Perhaps this will help http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-...player-10.html
                      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Nice one!

Thanks for that, toad.

Comment

Working...
                        X