Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FInding a cross-system program(2 questions)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FInding a cross-system program(2 questions)

This time I don't get an error remark but nothing seems to happen. Shouldn't it "do" something?
    errol@errol-linux:~$ fdupes /media/New\ Volume
    errol@errol-linux:~$

Errol

Comment

The implication is that there aren't any duplicate files in the specified directory.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Just tested it. Downloaded/installed fdupes. Ran it against my Documents directory where I do have duplicate files (the .bak files are duplicates of the original file) and this is the result:
        paul@laptop:~$ fdupes Documents/
        Documents/Adept Notifier~
        Documents/Adept Notifier

Comment

I made duplicate jpeg files on that hard drive so they are there. Maybe fdupes can't read jpeg files?

Comment

Nope.
            paul@laptop:~$ fdupes Pictures/
            Pictures/glacier_ice.jpg
            Pictures/glacier_ice.bak

Comment

And it doesn't matter if a duplicate file has a different name and extension:
              paul@laptop:~$ fdupes Pictures/
              Pictures/glacier_ice.jpg
              Pictures/bunny.txt
              Pictures/glacier_ice.bak

All three listed files above are the same file.

Comment

I'm stuck.
                Maybe I'll change the NTFS name of the partition and have it as a single word. Maybe that is where the problem lies?

Comment

Not on my system:
                  paul@laptop:~$ fdupes Grub\ bootsplash\ images/
                  Grub bootsplash images/moon.txt
                  Grub bootsplash images/meteor.jpg

But, I'm checking an ext3 disk directory. I don't have any NTFS partitions so I can't confirm or deny that this would be the cause of what you are experiencing.

Comment

Nothing in the fdupes man page says that the program is restricted to a specific system type.

Comment

Thanks Snowhog & Rog131 for you attempts.
                      If anybody has an idea please let me know. If I come up with a solution (i.e. something works) I'll post it.
                      Errol

Comment

I have succeeded in finding duplicate files using FSLint. It took me quite a while and searching to get the not so user friendly (at least for me) GUI to search and find duplicates. The way the results are presented is not easy to understand. There is some mystical number instead of a file name. Luckily the folder name is clear so what I did was open the two folders in which the duplicate files were and found them myself. As you can see, I still have a few problems with FSLint to iron out but by and large I can find duplicate file, at least in the same volume.
                        I still need a tutorial to really get FSLint to work properly for me so if there is a FSLint forum or place for newbies, I'd like to hear about it.
                        Getting there
                        Errol

Comment

FSLint - information concerning the program you should be aware of:

Tidy up your filesystem with FSlint

Comment

Thanks snowhog I will read and apply the knowledge in that site.
                            As yet I haven't found the "ideal" duplicate file finder in Linux. In windows there are many, mainly because the way the file system is organized. It certainly doesn't mean that one can delete files solely based on what the program defines.
                            On another forum I am getting help on another two programs that are supposed to find duplicate files. The one is called "fdupes", here the reason I'm having problems is my lack of sufficient knowledge with syntax.
                            The other program that was suggested to me is called "dircmp". This program I cannot find or install despite the claim that it should "be there" as part of Linux.
                            I'm waiting for answers on both these programs on the other forum. As I said in the beginning my aim is to find and delete duplicate photographs on my drives. If I can clean up other stuff as well, so much the better.
                            As I come from a windows background, this is a very good way for me to improve my Linux skills, by needing something and with the help of sooo many people (which hardly exists in windows) getting the program to work.
                            Errol

Comment

Working...
                            X