X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

update wants to install firefox

Hi,

I keep my system fairly up to date , but at this mornings login adept notifier wants to upgrade 105 and install 7 new packages - one of the new packages being firefox. I was quite happy with konquerer and don't want to install Firefox.

Why is this being flagged up for installation?

Any ideas?

Re: update wants to install firefox

Earlier > Topic: Why is update trying to install firefox?
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I was going to post a bug on this but when I searched launchpad there was already one going. What is strange is that the bug report was started over a month ago but the new package only showed up as an update to me a few days ago. Also the bug has confirmed status but seemingly no action has been taken to correct what must be a simple to fix error before releasing the package. I suspect that as it is only going to effect kubuntu users that it has been ignored.

There is a post on the bug report that lists a repository with corrected packages. I added that repo to adept and it installed without dragging in firefox.

Bug report here

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...a6/+bug/267260

Comment

Should have looked a bit harder and found the earlier post but I didn't know this problem had been around for so long.

The thing is, the repositories listed in the bug report appear to be for Intrepid. I'm running two machines one with Hardy and the other with Intrepid. The machine running Intrepid doesn't want to install Firefox with the latest Intrepid updates. It's the machine running Hardy that marks Firefox and Firefox-3 for installation.

Does anyone know of a repository for Hardy with corrected packages?

Comment

I am using hardy as well. Those repos worked fine for me.

Comment

I too, am running HH (both with KDE 3.5.9 and KDE 4.1.2), and I don't have Firefox installed. Both my systems are up to date, and FF has never been identified as a package that would be installed by Adept Notifier.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Do you have sun java installed? The problem package was sun-java6-plugin ver 6-07-3ubuntu2. When I looked at 'Details' on this package in Adept it had Firefox as a 'required file'. The ubuntu server now has ver 6-10-0ubuntu2 but this isn't showing as an update for me. I don't know whether this is because of the version I installed from the other server.

Comment

No, I do not. A simulated install of sun-java6-plugin shows:
                paul@laptop:~$ simI sun-java6-plugin
                [sudo] password for paul:
                Reading package lists... Done
                Building dependency tree
                Reading state information... Done
                The following extra packages will be installed:
                firefox firefox-3.0 java-common libstartup-notification0 odbcinst1debian1
                sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre unixodbc xulrunner-1.9
                Suggested packages:
                firefox-3.0-gnome-support latex-xft-fonts equivs binfmt-support
                sun-java6-fonts libct1 libmyodbc odbc-postgresql
                Recommended packages:
                ubufox gsfonts-x11
                The following NEW packages will be installed:
                firefox firefox-3.0 java-common libstartup-notification0 odbcinst1debian1
                sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin unixodbc xulrunner-1.9
                0 upgraded, 10 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                So, the packagers seem to have linked sun-java6-plugin to firefox. Hmm.
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                X