This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VMware Player 2.5

Well, just installed VMware Player 2.5 in HH 8.04 (KDE 4.1.2). Wow! The new .bundle format of the installer made installing the player as simple as issuing a single command. After it finished (with absolutely no intervention from me), I just launched it from K Menu > Applications > System > VMware Player and had it up and running. And the beautiful thing is that VMware Tools is installed by default, so I have the ability to move between the running guest OS and Kubuntu. It's a beautiful thing!! 8)
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: VMware Player 2.5

VMWare in general is a beautiful thing ... of the 30 odd servers I manage, 18 are VM's. The setup I have includes a backend iSCSI target server holding the VM disks and configs, and a number of frontend iSCSI initiators (with VMWare server 1.0.6) that face the internet. Our OS of choice is Debian for the servers, but I do run kubuntu on my laptop
    Confucius says: If you enjoy your work, then you never have to work another day in your life.

Comment

@Snowhog, try a Windows app in your VM and see if the keyboard cursor/arrow keys work. There seems to be a bug in the VMWare Player 2.5 -- at least multiple folks have observed this problem.

Comment

I have no problems with my keyboard cursor or arrow keys. Maybe I'm the lucky one.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          I have no problems with my keyboard cursor or arrow keys. Maybe I'm the lucky one.

Not "maybe".

Hmmm, I wonder if the problem could be on the Intrepid end of the interface? I guess I could temporarily change the keyboard definition in Intrepid and see if it changes the behavior in VMWare.

Thanks!

Comment

I'd be inclined to believe your theory. I'm not using II (yet), so my experiences remain with HH (KDE 3 and KDE 4) and GG (KDE 3). As stated in my initial post, the new packaging (.bundle) really made installing VMware Player a breeze - issue one command and your done!

Comment

Yes, the 2.5 installation was as slick as any I've seen.

What keyboard does it say you are using in System Settings > Regional & Language?

Comment

US

Attached Files

Comment

Rats.

In the grayed-out area, I can see the "Model" is 104-key generic -- same as I'm using in Intrepid.

Comment

Okay, now that I've upgraded to II 8.10 KDE 4.1.2, I am having the cursor issue in VMware Player. Have you discovered a solution yet?

Comment

Working...
                    X