This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System reboots on accessing Google Earth SOLVED

Using Kubuntu 8.04 and 8.10 and a Nvidia NV18 graphics card (gForce4MX4000).
    I attempted to update the driver to the latest nvidia version, but only in Kubuntu 8.10 because my attempts to upgrade the driver for the video card, I end up with a black screen and an error stating that no display is found.
    Therefore, I may not have the latest nvidia driver installed.

In fact, today I installed Google Earth. Install was successful. Unfortunately, right after the splash screen there is an 'update' reminder asking for an update to the latest graphics driver.

As soon as I close the warning window, my computer goes into a reboot.
    This happens every time I attempt to open Google Earth.

How do I upgrade the graphics 3D driver? Synaptic lists several drivers but whenever I use one of them, my computer boots into a black screen.

I checked the forum posts but did not find a specific answer to my problem.
    How do I get out of this mess, please?

Re: System reboots on accessing Google Earth

What version of Google Earth is it, and what model CPU are you running? I found that the newest version of Google Earth no longer supports my older AMD processor.
    Linux user #199542<br />WARNING:Got Unsolicited BITE_REPLY

Comment

Re: System reboots on accessing Google Earth

I have the latest version of Google Earth installed (4.3.?). CPU is an AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+. It supports 3D.

Found the source of the problem and resolved it.

I installed the nvidia driver via Synaptic. Nvidia installation server settings claimed that there was no nvidia driver installed. Hardware manager found several nvidia drivers.
      I installed the one that was both compatible and recommended.
      Server settings did not change. Still reboot upon attempting to open Google Earth.

Then I found this thread: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3095794.0
      in which 'dibl' gives a command line installation method for the nvidia driver.

Followed his instructions and, after a few failed attempts, I finally got it all right. The correct nvidia driver for my card (geForce4 MX4000) was installed. It started to work after a full reboot.

Thank you dibl!

Google Earth still produces an error message complaining about the driver.
      Maps.Google.com does work however.

Comment

Working...
      X