Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is update trying to install firefox?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is update trying to install firefox?

The update notification came up a couple of days ago. I ran the update sources and looked to see what was going to be installed and found, to my horror and disgust, that it was trying to install Firefox 3. I am sure that fellow Opera users will understand how upsetting this is. I have just ran it again to find a large list of updates including new kernels but still including ff. There are 2 ff entries to be installed, ff and ff3. I can only assume that the ff3 upgrade is flagged as essential and hence ff has to be installed as well. This is obviously an ubuntu thing as ff is an essential app under the ubuntu metapackage.

Why is this happening to kubuntu and how do I stop the ff install and run the other updates?

thanks

Re: Why is update trying to install firefox?

It's easy to stop it, follow the instructions for 'pinning' here: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...9271#msg109271

Comment

Thanks for that but it looks like that is a method for keeping an old version. I don't have ff installed and don't want to install it. Ff isn't in kubuntu as standard and isn't installed on my pc so why is updater suddenly trying to install it.

Comment

Going through the list of other updates I have found that the update to sun java plugin lists firefox as a 'required' file. I have tried 'cancel changes' in adept on the sun packages but it won't let me cancel them.

Comment

I would post a bug on it. It is probably an error in packaging with the update. the same bug was fixed back in hardy's development process, so perhaps it was just an error packaging the new sun-java-plugin

Comment

Working...
          X