This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to set Kmail's composer to send a copy of the message to the sender

I am trying to find a way for KMail to automatically send a copy of every message I write to myself (for archiving purposes and to make easier to access sent messages when I am away from my office). I looked and looked in the KMail settings, but I cannot find any such option.

Any ideas? Searching the forums proved equally unsuccessful.

S.

Re: How to set Kmail's composer to send a copy of the message to the sender

you probably could set up a filter to do that, but I don't see quite how

Comment

This won't be a lot of help if you don't use the program but you can certainly do it with Thunderbird.

Comment

Originally posted by kallikles2003
        I am trying to find a way for KMail to automatically send a copy of every message I write to myself (for archiving purposes and to make easier to access sent messages when I am away from my office). I looked and looked in the KMail settings, but I cannot find any such option.

Any ideas? Searching the forums proved equally unsuccessful.
        S.
        You could probably achieve what you want by sending yourself a BCC of the message to whatever address you chose.

I'm looking at an older version of KMail at the moment but when I go to the Settings menu and choose Configure KMail on the property sheet for the Idenity that I am using there is a tab, Advanced, which lets me set a BCC header to each email. So, you might automate it that way if KMail 1.9.9 is the same as I am looking at.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I had missed it.

However, using Bcc: is not really convenient, because then you lose the To: field in the composer window (consistently with Bcc original intent).

S.

Comment

Okay, see if the Headers tab on the composer property sheet, where you can define headers that will be appended to all mail, will do what you want. I think this one would overwrite any BCC headers that might already exist for the mail but I'm not sure about that it might just append.

Edit: I am a bit unclear about losing the "To" header that you mention. I can have To; CC; and BCC all at the same time when I compose an email.

Comment

kallikles2003,
              I wonder if to use filters as suggested by claydoh would do what you want.

You could try filtering on From header (you) and use the filter action, forward, to the address you want the copies. You might have already tried this.

I think that's the limit of ideas I can come up with, I've not had ocassion to do what you want to do.

Comment

You can create a simple forward filter in kmail.

1. Go to Settings>Configure filter
                2. Create a new filter with following settings:
                General tab:
                Filter Criteria
                Match all of the following (Leave fields empty to match all messages)
                Filter Actions
                Forward To <mail address>
                Advanced tab:
                Check 'Apply this filter to sent messages', uncheck other checkboxes

This should forward all messages you send to the address you specify (change filter options if you wish more control of which messages you wish to forward)

Comment

Working...
                X