X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restricted Driver Mgr- Where?

I still don't know from nuthin.
    Kubuntu 8.04 full install desktop. KDE 3.5.9

Thot I'd try installing a driver for my 10 year old Ati card. Well it says go to Sys Settings > Advanced > Restricted Driver Icon. Hah! No such animal. Where is it? How do I get/find it?

Following a post found with search I gingerly messed with Adept but it got away from me and downloaded about 2 milyun MB's (I can just feel my 10 gig HD filling up). I kept yelling "Stop! You Rascal!" or words to that effect but it wouldn't quit.

Anyway I found among many: "linux restricted modules 2.6.24-16-386" Since my machine was W98 ( presumably 386) I installed it at least according to Adept and thot the Restricted Driver Manager would magically appear. It didn't. Whynot? Wheresit?

Re: Restricted Driver Mgr- Where?

That's probably because there are no restricted drivers (i.e proprietory- made by the hardware manufacturers) for the card. However, the functionality is being provided by open source drivers supplied as part of xorg.

Is the screen resolution right? If so, what extra functionality are you seeking, or is it just that you assume you need to install drivers for it, as in Windows?

Ian

Comment

I have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, and always the first thing to pop up on screen when i re-install (a by no means rare occurrence ) is a requester saying that there are unsupported drivers available, would i like to install them? (to which i always answer yes ). Did this not appear for you?

One thing to try is to press <Alt> + <F2> and into the box type kcontrol, then navigate to Peripherals ->Monitor and Display, select Administrator Mode, select the Hardware tab, and the top line (on mine) is Graphics Card/Driver: fglrx and at the far right you can click on "Configure".

I don't know if this is any help......

Comment

You first need to ensure that you have enabled the restricted repository in Adept Manager.

K Menu > System > Adept Manager > Adept > Manage Repositories and on the first tab (Kubuntu Software) make sure that Software restricted by copyright or legal issues (multiverse) is checked. Close this window. Adept Manager will fetch updates.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Liquid- Problem is Flicker- from 60 HZ refresh - I need 75 minimum.

Aged- No Popup. I did all that many times but tried again (thanx) and there were a lot more ATI choices this time beause of my download as in my OP, one of which worked. I must, however, run at 1024x768 but have 85Hz with no flicker AAAAHHHHH. I believe this is what I ran with W98.

Now, however, on startup it is tedjus in the extreme.

By itself it opens to 640x480 and 60Hz. So to avoid that the scenario is:

Fire up > Enter grub > Recovery mode > Fix X Server > Normal Start > And we are back to 1280x960 and 60 Hz > Admin Mode > Choose 1024x768 and 85 Hz > Apply > Beautious!!!!! No Flicker Fantastic Colors

BUT! It has reverted to the original ATI 128 Generic driver but for some reason I can now change the resolution and refresh whereas previously I couldn't.

I gave up on Hibernate. Fan still runs and can't wake it up.

Looks like Bye Bye Kubuntu. Too many PITA problems; time wasted.

Snow- I checked Adept and its all as it should be.

Comment

If you press <Alt> + <F2> and type (or copy/paste) this into the box: /usr/bin/jockey-kde and then Run it, the Manager which then appears has a box which should be ticked to enable the Hardware Drivers.

If it isn't, tick it, and if it is.... un-tick it.

It is worth a try, before giving up on Kubuntu.

Edited to add the important bit:
            And then re-boot.

Comment

Well it said "no proprietary drivers in use in this system" and was blank ie nuthin to check.

That's the rub. I configured to the imported driver and it was there but the startup always requires all that recovery/fix b.s. till I can't even keep track on paper what has or might happen. No guarantee what might come up for a working product. It might be there one time and not another.

Tho I more or less like the Kubuntu and could/can use it but the starting uncertainty and agravation is just too much. I've put more time on this than any 5 different virus programs and firewall in windows.

Will mess with it a few more days ...............thanx for all your help and suggestions. I feel kind of sad giving it up.

Comment

To put this into perspective, if your first computer had come with an empty hard drive and a bunch of disks including a Windows CD, your current issues would pale into insignificance. The whole beauty of Linux is that things can be fixed (with a little help from your friends!) without always having to reinstall.

To come back to your original point, the card is 10 years old, made before any card manufacturer started giving any serious attention to Linux, so likely as not the only driver available for it is the xorg one, that came supplied with Kubuntu. From your penultimate post it would seem the graphics issue has now resolved itself, simply by taking the fix X option?

Assuming that is right, we now move to Hibernate. Can you give us more info about your system. Are you dual-booting, if so what version of Windows are you using? Can you hibernate it with windows? I note your graphics card is of 1998 vintage - how about the rest of the system? Is it a laptop or desktop? The more info you can give on specs the more help you will get here. It is fair to say that hibernation has never been a really strong point of Linux although things are much better now than they were. I have 2 laptops - 2001 and 2006 vintage and they both hibernate. Much depends upon the hardware.

Come back on it please.

Ian

Comment

HI- I will come back prolly tomorrow - full plate today.

Comment

Graphics --seems to be unner control as the last few times starting up it has displayed what I want so either I or the machine or both have gotten the "message." Things are at the point I can use the outfit and learn and perhaps switch eventually.

I am blown away at the obvious interest complete strangers have in helping us FNG's and trying to keep us on board.
                    ==========================================

The card is I think 10 years old but I bot/installed it in 2001. Its an ATi and ran fine for years on W98. See below.
                    =========
                    Comp is a Desktop (see OP)
                    Custombilt 1999
                    Full Install Kubuntu 8.04 = no windows (what for?)
                    KDE 3.5.9 (see OP)
                    Release 2.6.24-16-386
                    Machine i686
                    HD = 10 Gig Gigabyte GA-6BXC
                    RAM = 768 (Max for W98)
                    Chipset Pentium III 500MHZ = 440BX (I think)
                    Video Card: Ati Rage II C (From the Install Disk)
                    ATi Rage Fury Pro 32MB AGP (From the Invoice dtd 11-01-01) Take yer Choice
                    Driver ATi Rage 128 (From Kubuntu)
                    Resolution 1024x768 85 Hz (I can live with that in fact my notes show it is what I used for years with the W98).
                    ========
                    Don't look like much now but with my stripped down W98 when I opened a file the monitor would jump a quarter inch! :-)
                    ====================
                    Hibernate: Well thanx just the same I just won't use it; Shut-down and Fire-up is just as easy and open files reappear as in hibernate so that's settled. On ter other thangs.
                    =============
                    I read a lot of posts and it seems to me like there are an excessive amount of fundamental problems with just simple setup type stuff.

As far as originally breaking into W3.1 the Windows help file was invaluable, simple to search and easy to use; still is. Can you honestly say that for Khelp?

Comment

Working...
                    X