This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compiz problem

I've noticed that when I turn compiz desktop effects on, I become unable to switch between virtual desktops. I usually work with only two, but when turning compiz on, four desktops appear. However, all of these desktops, despite being numbered 1,2,3,4, all show "Desktop 1" when the cursor is moved on them. Also, system settings only shows one desktop when this happens, but any alteration to the settings does not affect anything. This is only a slight error, but I would like to see desktop effects work properly.

In case you need this: I am not sure if my driver is 100% correct, but as of now, my graphics driver is simply listed as "intel". I have an intel 965 express chipset, so it is at least half right.
    Sony Vaio VGN NR260E<br />Linux Kubuntu 9.04\Windoze 7 Professional<br /><br />Sony Vaio VPCF1190X<br />Linux Kubuntu 10.04/Windoze 7 Home Premium<br /><br />Linux user #478627

Re: Compiz problem

I noticed the same problem on my HP machine for a while. The 4 desktops in the system tray eventually went away (a few minutes or hours of use) and were replace with 2. Each was still labeled "Desktop 1", but they functioned independently and normally in every other respect.

After a recent Hardy update, including an upgrade to the kernel, I now have each desktop labeled correctly using Compiz.
    Larry.<br /><br />· Going Linux Podcast ·<br />&nbsp; http://goinglinux.com<br />Using Linux to get things done

Comment

I'm...just not having a good day. I've completely forgotten how to upgrade the kernel. Is it an simple "upgrade kubuntu" command in the terminal? And if I do this, could it potentially affect any system settings (or certain drivers such as mad-wifi)?
      Sony Vaio VGN NR260E<br />Linux Kubuntu 9.04\Windoze 7 Professional<br /><br />Sony Vaio VPCF1190X<br />Linux Kubuntu 10.04/Windoze 7 Home Premium<br /><br />Linux user #478627

Comment

The reason that compiz desktops show the same number is because compiz doesn't actually use different desktops - it uses one huge desktop with a number of "viewports".

That said, the pager normally does a good job of adapting to suit whether you have compiz enabled or not these days - what version of Kubuntu/KDE are you using? You might be lucky and a get things fixed simply by removing the pager and then re-inserting it in your panel. On KDE4, there are separate widgets for normal and compiz pagers.

I don't use an Intel graphics card myself, but I understood that at this point they were working pretty well. They won't be the reason your pager isn't tracking desktop numbers, either way.

On the upgrading your kernel front - any extra drivers (possibly mad-wifi? I don't know it, I use ndiswrapper) would have to be rebuilt to fit your new kernel. Generally speaking, unless you have a really good reason for messing with your kernel, don't (even to upgrade). it's technically easy enough to upgrade the kernel, but can work out more trouble than it's worth if you have drivers you've installed yourself or other customisations done.

Comment

I am using Kubuntu 8.04.1 with KDE 3.5.9 (I'm VERY skeptical about upgrading to KDE4.), if that will help with anything.

And the re-adding the pager does show two desktops, but still only "desktop 1" shows up when the cursor is moved over them. Also, both system settings and advanced desktop effects settings will not let me have more than one virtual desktop. Even if I change the setting, it goes back to one almost instantly, and the desktop effects settings will not let me change the value at all.

Comment

As I understand it (and I stand to be corrected here), you can't add virtual desktops because that's just not how compiz does things. The setting you want is above that in the Advanced Desktop Effects Settings, General Options>Desktop Size: either vertical or horizontal size - you probably just want the horizontal size to be set to 2, which I suspect it already is.

I don't get the same problem with my pager, but then I can imagine worse bugs! Sorry I can't be more help here. The last thing I can think of is the window manager you're using. More than likely it's KWin, when you might be better off with emerald. In Advanced Desktop Effects Settings, check the Window Decoration options, and see what the Command is. I've found Kwin (the default) has slightly different behaviour to /usr/bin/emerald - though obviously it will also mean changing your actual window decoration, so it might not be something you want.

Best of luck with it.

Comment

Working...
            X