This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE to Gnome?

I tried Ubuntu yesterday with GNOME via live CD, and it seems to display much more cleanly on my VAIO compared to KDE 3.5.9. I was wondering is it possible to switch to GNOME on Kubuntu without having to reinstall Ubuntu? Of course, I haven't tried KDE 4 yet; it might display better...KDE 3 seems a little glitchy sometimes.
    Sony Vaio VGN NR260E<br />Linux Kubuntu 9.04\Windoze 7 Professional<br /><br />Sony Vaio VPCF1190X<br />Linux Kubuntu 10.04/Windoze 7 Home Premium<br /><br />Linux user #478627

Re: KDE to Gnome?

Perhaps
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    or maybe
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment
    it's been a while since I wanted to do that... wait for another post here, unless you are in a rush to get it done... and then, I'd say try the first suggestion (or google it for more insight).

Comment

I am not in an immediate hurry. I do have one question, tough: I have had to set up several things on Kubuntu such as wi-fi, graphics, sound, printers, and flash. If I do switch from KDE to GNOME, will these possibly be affected? I'd hate to have to go and reconfigure them again.
      Sony Vaio VGN NR260E<br />Linux Kubuntu 9.04\Windoze 7 Professional<br /><br />Sony Vaio VPCF1190X<br />Linux Kubuntu 10.04/Windoze 7 Home Premium<br /><br />Linux user #478627

Comment

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/gnome this link explains how to do it, with pictures, the above post is also right though.

I tried switching from gnome to kde and that wasn't pleasant, all your gnome and kde apps are scrambled, aint fun to work with, I really recommend reinstalling ubuntu and getting rid of kubuntu.

Comment

Hmm...it's sounding as if I should simply install Ubuntu separately. However, Vista doesn't like more than four partitions. Last time I tried this, Vista wouldn't even boot up. I had to use Ubuntu's partitioning tool to delete the fifth and sixth partitions, then use VAIO system restore...

I might either try the link above, or install Ubuntu on an external...but to me, having Kubuntu and Ubuntu separately makes no sense. I'd rather have one or the other.

Edit: I ended up trying the link above. It screws up my computer, so I uninstalled it. However, several Gnome applications (as well as the login screen) remain. Is there a quick fix to this, or do I have to uninstall each one individually?

Comment

Setting the login window back to KDM
            Code:
            sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm

Comment

Working...
            X