This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Connection

From the very beginning of my use of Kubuntu I was faced with difficulties connecting wirelessly. I found a solution with the installation of Wireless Client, Wicd. Recently I added KDE4.1.1 desktop to my laptop to start exploring this new desktop environment. I continued using Wicd for my connections but I am wondering if there is not a better solution that I am just not aware of. I would like my laptop to connect automatically if possible.

Re: Wireless Connection

What kind of wireless card do you have? And have you installed a specific driver for the card?
    Please give us some more information.

Comment

It's a Broadcom card. My laptop is a Dell 8500 running Kubuntu 8.04 with KDE 4.1.1 and KDE 3.5. All updates have been installed as of today I have all drivers installed. Wireless works fine using the WiCD, Wireless Client program. WiCD asks for my sudo password each time it runs. Maybe I installed it as root. It has been so long I cannot remember. I've been using it that way for a while but just thought that there might be a better way.

Comment

I use Knetworkmanager. Default is that the password is stored in Kwallet, for safety-reasons. Consequense is that everytime after login, it asks for the sudo password.
        However, in Knetworkmanager, you can choose to store the password in the configuration file. It is "unprotected" then, but you have an automatic login for your wireless network. Perhaps this program works for you too?

Or perhaps you can do this too with WIcd.

Comment

You have given me some good leads. It would certainly be nice if one could just install Kubuntu on a laptop and have it work. I have worked with Linux on my laptop off and on for some time now and this has always been a bit of a sticking point.

Comment

Mine works on a Packard Bell Easynote laptop, and didn't even have troubles configuring the hardware (except for the wifi card...).

Comment

Working...
            X