This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3d Acceleration is not being detected by PlayOnLinux and Wine

I have recently installed PlayOnLinux onto my Dell Laptop with intel 965GM X3100 integrated graphics, but when I start it up I get a message saying 'No 3d Acceleration detected' or something along these lines.

glxinfo does indeed report 'Direct Rendering: No', however sudo glxinfo reports 3d acceleration is fine (if a bit slow).

I have just ran playonlinux with kdesudo and have found that the 'No 3d Acceleration detected' does not now appear, but I do not want to run wine as root.

Even Tomb Raider 2 is impossible to play with 3d acceleration at the moment (I thought this may be due to opengl running entirely through software if 3d Acceleration is not detected).

Is there a way to setup my graphics so that sudo is not required in order for 3d acceleration to be correctly detected. And will fixing this problem lead to better framerates?

Re: 3d Acceleration is not being detected by PlayOnLinux and Wine

A bit of searching on the internet has produced the following snippet of info:
    The error seems to be a product of restricted rights to /dev/dri/card0.

chmod 666 /dev/dri/card0 seems to fix matters (at least in terms of glxinfo etc, not sure about any speed increases as yet). Does anyone know why this problem should occur in the first place and whether or not there is a good reason for the rights restriction to /dev/dri/card0?

Thanks

Comment

Re: 3d Acceleration is not being detected by PlayOnLinux and Wine

Interesting -- nice piece of work.

AFAIK "root" is the default owner of everything under /dev. So it require would a manual change to un-restrict any given file, like you did.

I would say the fact that root ownership of that file is a cause of problems when running an application that needs to read it is bug in the application. Two cents' worth.

Comment

Working...
      X