This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

date/time update from other sites

When I right click on the date/time display in the corner of the display, there is an option to adjust date/time. I can do so only from the sites listed.

Is there any way to add one or more sites to use in addition or instead of those listed??

In prior releases of KDE (under Fedora I believe), there was a way to add sites that I could use for setting/adjusting/updating the time.

It would seem kde now doesn't allow me to add sites to use.

Re: date/time update from other sites

From System settings -> date and time, you can set any option for date and time. You can also select a server (there are different ones) to download/synchronize the time.

Comment

Originally posted by mjtolsma
      From System settings -> date and time, you can set any option for date and time. You can also select a server (there are different ones) to download/synchronize the time.
      Yes - that is like the date/time adjust panel - it only allows the user to select from a list that somebody else has determined to be adequate for everybody to use.

Is Kubuntu becoming too much like MS Windows?? The developers know what is best and restrict you to that only I see this happening in other areas of Kubuntu.

Now I like Kubuntu a lot, but this mentality that Daddy knows best is really starting to get to me. I came to Linux to get away from that mentality. Ease of use doesn't mean that all choice is removed.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer
        Yes - that is like the date/time adjust panel - it only allows the user to select from a list that somebody else has determined to be adequate for everybody to use.
        <snip>
        Ease of use doesn't mean that all choice is removed.
        I agree with your sentiments - but in this instance your concerns are unfounded. I can just simply type in the host to synchronise the computer to in the box, rather than select from the dropdown.

Alternatively you might consider installing/configuring ntpd (Google for instructions).

Enjoy the choice

Comment

ntpd is installed. but it seems to have the same problem I'm having with the desktop clock.

Whenever I try to update time, I get the message that the app was unable to contact the time server.

I had this problem in previous versions and was able to configure the port access to enable the server to communicate. Also, I turned off the router firewall.

Unfortunately I have been unable to find any means of configuring port access under Kubuntu or any access to any firewall if one exists. I can and have turned off the router firewall and the app is still unable to connect to the time servers.

Interesting that the clock "seems" to have access to external time servers, but there doesn't seem to be any way to configure that access to ensure the access actually exists.

Comment

Okay - fooling around with "System Services" and ntpdate.

ntpdate gave me a hint about what to do.

First under "System Services" 'stop' ntp

run

ntpdate -b server_name

or

right click on the clock in the panel and "Adjust Date and Time", then "Apply"

both now connect to the server and adjust the time.

ntp ties up the NTP socket preventing ntpdate from working. Seems to do the same for the app to adjust the panel clock.

Comment

May I ask why the default time servers don't meet your needs? I'm just curious as to how much more accurate your clock is than mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate
                May I ask why the default time servers don't meet your needs? I'm just curious as to how much more accurate your clock is than mine.
                I don't know how accurate yours are in comparison with the ones I have always used and want to continue using. No slight meant to you or yours.

I have always used 2 run by NIST.

People have told me not to do that. That my PC should be linked into a hierarchy and the PC is at least 2 or 3 levels down the hierarchy.

But then I go to the NIST time site and they invite anybody and everybody to link to their site using ntp to synch. Their only condition for use is that your s/w should not query less than every 4 seconds. Heck they even supply s/w to do so. They have NO restrictions on use. They say nothing about a synch hierarchy. They say nothing about trying other sources first. Anybody interested in the time, can Google 'NIST time' and the first listing that I just got was pages about synching. It's not like they are hiding it. Quoting the first paragraph:
                The NIST Internet Time Service (ITS) allows users to synchronize computer clocks via the Internet. The time information provided by the service is directly traceable to UTC(NIST). The service responds to time requests from any Internet client in several formats including the DAYTIME, TIME, and NTP protocols.
                Now I respect the argument about maintaining a hierarchy, but when the top of heap openly invites me to synch with them, why shouldn't I?? I doubt that the servers listed are the top of their heap, but I strongly suspect that it is the top of yours or at least on an equal footing. Who do you go to if your time server is wrong?? Ultimately NIST (at least in the US).

Also, I noticed that the last time I booted Windows Vista and fooled around to see just what it was like, I found the time synch app there and noticed that they default to MS, but they also have NIST prominently listed as a synch source. Now I can just imagine millions of people running Windows Vista finding the same thing and thinking why bother with the small fish and then going straight to the top. I think that if NIST found this overwhelming their servers, they would do 1 of several things: 1. ask MS to drop them from the list (unlikely on their part for political and funding reasons), 2. beef up their servers and links to handle the load, probably the more likely action since they would be responding to their mission in life and could request more funding to cover. Can you imagine any Congressman appreciating the notice on the NIST site that sorry you are being denied service because Senator/Representative xxxxx said that taxpayers, paying for the service, said you shouldn't use it Those millions of Windows users would probably get rather irate.

Comment

Working...
                X