Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

should be easy...how do I downgrade from kde4 to kde3?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

should be easy...how do I downgrade from kde4 to kde3?

I installed 8.04 with kde4 for what reason I don't know, I love kde3....figured 4 would be better I guess.

My desktop is black due to "enable desktop effects" feature.

How can I install kde3. Please note, I do not have internet connectivity in linux at the moment, windows xp is ok. I also am using 8.04 in 64bit configuration. any help appreciated.
    apt-get moo for more cowbell<br /><br />Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16 GHz<br />4 GB DDR2 RAM OCZ<br />EVGA Geforce 8800 GT<br />ASUS P5Q Deluxe Motherboard<br />Antec 900 Case<br />Creative Fatal1ty

Re: should be easy...how do I downgrade from kde4 to kde3?

This Topic may help: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091539.0
    or this one: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090772.0

Good Luck.

Comment

You can also take a different approach and simply not log into kde4. You can do so by logging out, and then at the login screen choose kde3 as your session type. That way, if you figure out what the issue is with kde4 you won't have to go through the installation process again.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate
        You can also take a different approach and simply not log into kde4. You can do so by logging out, and then at the login screen choose kde3 as your session type. That way, if you figure out what the issue is with kde4 you won't have to go through the installation process again.
        That is probably the best thing to do.

I rarely use KDE4, though i've been playing with it again today .... i usually log-in to 3.5.10, then set KControl or System Settings to log-in without a password.

Anything for an easy life.

Comment

Well my option is failsafe (which is simply a command line), default, or kde4. I don't mind kde4 being there really, I just want to use kde3 instead. Is default session kde3 or 4? I don't know why 3 would come on a kde4 remix kubuntu iso
          apt-get moo for more cowbell<br /><br />Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16 GHz<br />4 GB DDR2 RAM OCZ<br />EVGA Geforce 8800 GT<br />ASUS P5Q Deluxe Motherboard<br />Antec 900 Case<br />Creative Fatal1ty

Comment

Okay, nevermind. I thought you had upgraded from kde3 to kde4, which results in both versions working. But it sounds like you started fresh with just kde4.

If you don't have kde3 already on your system I'm guessing you need to reinstall from scratch, otherwise all sorts of weird problems may crop up.

Comment

Noted thank you!

Comment

If you log out of kde4 and on a command line, you could sudo apt-get kubuntu-desktop
                That one is the 3.x flavour, there's also one with the digit 4 in it.
                Greetings from Groningen Netherlands

Comment

Working...
                X