This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shutdown is slow

When I try to shutdown after being on the internet my computer takes over 1 minute before the the final shutdown screen appears where I can stop my system.
    This has only happened since installing Hardy.

Re: Shutdown is slow

You could try shutting down and restarting then:

vim /var/log/syslog

or you can type dmesg

Something might be hanging on shutdown.

Comment

If you don't want the graphical startup and shutdown, you can always go for the text-start up. You can view what is going on better than the graphical screen.

Assuming you have a grub bootmanager, go to /boot/grub
      Open the file menu.list (make a backup first)

At the end of the file, you see the different start-up options (different OS / kernel?)

Look at the one you use normally. When looking at the kernel line, notice that it ends with "ro quiet splash". Remove the "quiet splash", save the file and reboot. The next time, you see everything in text output.
      Only do this if you are comfortable with editing these files!

Comment

Originally posted by gordon3913
        When I try to shutdown after being on the internet my computer takes over 1 minute before the the final shutdown screen appears where I can stop my system.
        This has only happened since installing Hardy.
        This is the message in syslog:-

Sep 23 22:36:47 landmark avahi-daemon[5271]: Got SIGTERM, quitting.
        Sep 23 22:36:47 landmark avahi-daemon[5271]: Leaving mDNS multicast group on interface eth1.IPv4 with address 192.168.1.4.
        Sep 23 22:36:48 landmark gnome-power-manager: (gordon) This program cannot start until you start the dbus session service. This is usually started automatically in X or gnome startup when you start a new session.
        Sep 23 22:36:49 landmark postfix/master[5499]: terminating on signal 15
        Sep 23 22:36:51 landmark kernel: [ 4663.816562] ip6_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
        Sep 23 22:36:53 landmark exiting on signal 15

Comment

So if you shutdown after not connecting to a network it is fine?

Comment

Working...
          X