This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 8.04 & KDE 4.0 - How to do things

Since upgrading to Kubuntu 8.04 & KDE 4 Remix I have had difficulty figuring out how to do what I used to think were simple things. I don't find KDE 4 to be very intuitive. I've blundered along and figured out most things, but there are 2 things I want to do that I can't figure out. How can I edit files as root with Kate, Konqueror or Kwrite and how can I run a command from the menu the way I could with KDE 3? In KDE 3 I had the option of starting some of the file managers as root but KDE 4 does not offer that option as installed. Any solutions other than resorting to the command line?

Handyman

Re: Kubuntu 8.04 & KDE 4.0 - How to do things

Right click on the desktop, click "run command"

Type: kdesu kate

Press enter.

I have to agree with you, I really miss being able to run commands from the K menu.

Comment

Alt-F2 is the shortcut for the "krunner" which is your quick launch bar. When I type kdesu dolphin or kdesu kate, etc. the kde3 version of those programs launches with root access. But unless you upgraded from kde3 to kde4 that may not happen for you.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, I'll get KDE4 figured out eventually, probably just about the time KDE5 is released
        Handyman

Comment

Working...
        X