This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System Tray Help

I have Kubuntu Installed with the new KDE4, I can not access my system tray, eg It doesn't show that my network is plugged in or the Volume Mixer control and also I have AMSN installed and when I close it and send it to the system tray I can not see that either.

Do I need to change the colour of my task bar? or is there an option I have missed, and before I'm asked I do have the widget added for System tray and have removed/added again still nothing

It all used to work nicely on the previous version of KDE.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    David

Re: System Tray Help

I've certainly had some odd behavior with the system tray in 4.1.

First make sure that you actually have a system tray widget installed. (Cashew > Add Widgets, then drag the System Tray Widget to either a Plasma panel or the "Desktop". You can also add a duplicate tray to the other location.) Putting it on the Desktop is sure fire way to test the tray since you'll know it's there, whereas if your problem is a panel config problem, you probably won't get farther than you've already gotten. I too have had some experiences where the tray is apparently invisible on a panel (although once an app is placed in the tray it is no longer invisible).

Once you have a tray, launch a working kde4 app such as KGet or KMix. I think these are native 4.1 apps that should appear in the tray.

Not sure I can help you much beyond this. However, I will note that in my experience I have also been able to get a number of supposedly kde3-only apps (like smb4k and the guidance-power-manager) to land in my kde4 system tray (they do seem to need a working, although not running, kde 3 installation).

Good luck.

Comment

Ok thanks for the help,

Hmm, I have re-moved and re-added the widget to both the desktop and task bar,

Still no good even when trying Kmix

Comment

I really don't know a solution, but sometimes with plasma things begin to work after logging out or rebooting. Create the system tray, launch a program that should show up down there, then logout (or reboot), and things may straighten themselves out afterwards.

Comment

Hey well,

I wish it was that easy to get it all working.

But still thanks for trying to help

Comment

Hey,
            I have ended up downloading a new version and have installed it.

It's all working properly now which is great

It seems that I spoke to soon, It all works until I install the ATI restricted drivers,
            that's when the system tray make the objects disappear or invisible

Comment

Working...
            X