This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FF and google maps [Not a Kubuntu or FF issue]

I'm using Fire fox as my browser. I'm running KDE4.1 Last week the motorcycle group I belong to, Honda Nighthawk Lovers, created a google map that we could all put place markers on that show our home towns. I went back wensday to see if there were any new people in my area, the map showed up but no place markers. I posted on that forum that someone might have accidentaly erased the markers, it had happend before, but the moderator said he sees it fine. so I fire up Konq and there they are. there is the option on the map for pictures and if you click them they show up in FF. I thought that it was my computer but another user said he has the same problem and he uses FF in ubuntu.

Any ideas? i dont remember what updates we ran this last week.

Re: FF and google maps

I've seen the same thing in IE/Vista. Not that it helps any, but this may be a bigger/different problem than FF on Linux.

Comment

I can see this happening. FF doesn't run well in my Kubuntu either, frequently it just closes. I'd like to run the dbg symbols to see if I can get some sort of backtrace, but the package is not in the repo.

you could try downloading FF from the web site and run it, instead of the Kubuntu version of ff. You'll have to load library libstdc++5 from synaptic or adept.

Perhaps it could be a setting or mime type issue, but 4.1 is nutty isn't it.

i guess for over kill one could just load a minimum gnome desktop and run firefox from there to see if it's the 4.1 environment.

the above poster almost scares me. my paranoia believes that firefox is being made into cripple ware to promote konqueror. which I'm using right now because of the same problems your having. my optometrist bill is going to be insane, the fonts are so fuzzy

- kubuntu 11.10 | linux User #231826 | kubuntu user #23718<br />- x58/ich10r | i7-950 | 3@2GB 1600 3x channel | geforce gt240 1GB [19&quot; 16:10, 19&quot; 4:3] | 120GB ssd / 500GB / 1TB / dvd+-rw [sata ahci] | 600W wrapped in aluminum

Comment

I know I'm scary - - that's besides the point.

I highly doubt they are messing with Firefox as a way to promote any other file manager/web browser. I don't see the logic in that. Now somebody massaging a web page to make anything but IE7 work at a site - - I could see that.

There is probably some weird protocol/language variation that Firefox wasn't prepped to deal with. Keep in mind that Google is Linux, They don't do MS.

Comment

Re: FF and google maps [not kubuntu or FF issue]

I think that this is a google issue, people who run xp and IE are having it. when your are not logged in you can see the icons but as soon as you log in they disappear.

So i'm marking it as not a kubuntu issue

Ted

Comment

Working...
          X