This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annoying freezing problem

Hi all I have a serious problem and it is annoying the hell out of me. I did a apt-get update and upgrade and now my system is lagging like big time. I am running hardy and was wondering if there isa fix that could he me. For example if I am on a web page and scrolling down the page it would freeze for like 10 seconds andf then start scrolling like crazy. Typing this message is also bad since I have to type and hope I make no mistake since what I type shoots out after 10 seconds. Please any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Re: Annoying freezing problem

Sounds like some process is hogging your CPU for periods of time. In a Konsole window, enter
    Code:
    and then watch that window while you open your browser, change web sites, etc. Maybe it will be a process that is not critical to your routine use of the system.

Comment

Hi thanks for replying. I did the command early from a posting and my firefox is using up 98% of my computer resource. But it goes up and down 58% then it jumps to 98%. What would cause this ?

Comment

Yep.

I've seen it myself -- it's been the subject of numerous posts. Search here and on Ubuntu Forum, using "firefox" and "ipv6" and you should find some tips to improve its performance. Probably disabling ipv6 is your best first thing to look into.

Funny that it doesn't happen consistently, on my system. Firefox 3 has been well-behaved on both Hardy Heron and Intrepid Ibex. But it wasn't always so ... :P

Comment

Well it hasn't on two of my systems.

Firefox just freezes, and locks down the system. Can't even get to a command line to do a proper shutdown/restart.

It only started recently on the notebook, but it's been going on for some time on my Dell Precision 470 and Firefox 2.0.xxx

Notebook has firefox 3

I haven't ruled out piss poor performance on my damned slow dialup line (Could Verizon be the problem?? Nahhhhh) but I have also noticed that pages with heavy eye candy graphics and toys just about kill me every time. Even these forums are locking up on the notebook with firefox 3

Adept manager doesn't have any problems, which kinda rules out the crappy phone line, so at this point I would venture to say it's something to do with firefox. I may attempt another browser just to see what happens.

Comment

I have the luxury of fast CPU and lots of memory, so stuff like that is less troublesome.

I've heard good reports on Opera browser -- you might want to try it.

But seriously, also google "firefox performance tips" and stuff like that -- there is quite a lot of information on the 'net about this problem.

Comment

I don't think hardware is the issue with Firefox.
              Workstation is a xeon processor, and the laptop is an AMD Turion64 X2

Also ruled out OS. Laptop is Kubuntu, Workstation is Mandriva. Both 64 bit installs
              One has FF 2.0.X
              other has FF 3.X

'top' doesn't show any CPU hogs. On Kubuntu, is see the biggest user being 'events/O' only using something like 11% periodically.

Not happy - - only started recently on this laptop. I was kinda thinking it was shortly after I did the HAL update from the repositories

HAL still giving me a (status 13) error in dmesg. I'll dig into this one next so I can get the wifi up and running.

What's really sad for me is that I had to get (cough, hack, groan, moan) Vista online to post this - - - egads, what am I doing!!!!

Comment

If you're in the mood to make a Live CD, for experimentation on your laptop, I can recommend this one. That's what I run on my Asus Eee PC, and it does a marvelous job. FF3 (actually it's the Iceweasel version) has no issues there. Since I know where you live, you want the download mirror here:

ftp://ftp.sunsite.utk.edu/pub/linux/Sidux/

and use the "release" directory to get your 32-bit "KDE Lite" ISO image.

Comment

Figured what the problem was. If I have any site that has flash running it slows down the system. Not sure why that is but I close them down and the system ran a bit better. Thanks for all the help

Comment

Oh, I almost forgot.

If you use Firefox and then close it, but find your system still sluggish, use
                    Code:
                    to see if npviewer is still running and sucking CPU resources. If it is, note the process number for npviewer, the exit top and simply
                    Code:
                    kill 12345
                    where "12345" is the actual process number that you observed in top.

Comment

Hey Dibl - - I'll have to check that Live CD out. Not sure yet where to download it (why I was hoping for my wifi fixed by now) but I'll make a note to do it somewhere soon

As for flash - I'm pretty sure that is not where I'm having a problem at this point. I know I don't have flash install due to 64 bit, and I didn't really want to go the ndiswrapper method for flash at this point.

Note: I'm seeing some noise about HAL (Status 13) errors not only being about wifi, but also NVidia drivers. That's a possible point problem for FF and graphics.

Comment

Working...
                      X