This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

??? Unable to write the email to the mailbox - Thunderbird problem

I have just installed TB, copied my profiles (they all appear as expected)....however, when TB checks for mail I receive the following error message....

'Unable to write the email to the mailbox. Make sure the file system allows you write privileges, and you have enough disk space to copy the mailbox'

I have (well at least I think I have!!) granted permissions to myself (only user of KDE) to read, write etc... but alas ... I still get error message.

Any clues how to fix ?

Cheers............hawkeye
    Craig<br />Noobie to Linux and Kubuntu from the Land Down Under..<br />GMT +10.00

Re: Unable to write the email to the mailbox - Thunderbird problem

It has to be a permissions error in the TB profile. Check all the directories and sub directories to make sure you own them and have read/write privileges. This often happens when you copy files from one system to another in your home folder. You probably copied them as root (sudo) and when you pasted them into your home directory, they ended up as being owned by root. You will have to use root privileges to change this.

Comment

Thanks Detonate,

I did as you suggested and changed permissions in the .mozilla-thundrbird profile but still no go....

In my haste to write a new post I forgot the first part of the error message was...

'There was an error downloading the following message:
      Subject: Carsales Network - Weekly Statistics for private user
      This message may contain a virus or there is not enough disk space. Skip this message?'

I clicked 'no' button then this error message was displayed (same message if I clicked yes)

'Unable to write the email to the mailbox. Make sure the file system allows you write privileges, and you have enough disk space to copy the mailbox'

I know for a fact there are no viruses from this site... in fact I get the virus message no matter from where the email was sent...even my work.

Craig<br />Noobie to Linux and Kubuntu from the Land Down Under..<br />GMT +10.00

Comment

Well, you're not running any virus programs anyway, that message might be useful to a windows user. So how about the disk space? Bet you've already checked that. So you have enough disk space? Try to download the program with kmail and see what happens, if it downloads, we'll know for sure it's a T-Bird problem. At that point I would reinstall T-bird. Maybe a path to the file where it saves messages got messed up.

Comment

Thanks mate.... I'll try your suggestions when I get home tonite!!

Comment

Sounds like your mail directory either has bad read/write privileges, or has inherited incorrect privileges from a higher directory. It shouldn't take too long, so check the read/writes, owner, and group attributes from ~/.mozilla-thunderbird on down through your Inbox in Konsole. There's a bad setting somewhere in that chain.

Or your disk really is full !!
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

I thought I'd gone through all the folders and sub folders... maybe I missed one!! Argh!!

No probs with space....I have 123gb free! (the TB profile folder is 2.8gb)

Comment

Woo Hoo!!! We have succeeded!!

Thanks Detonate and jglen490!! You guys rock!!!

Comment

Working...
                X