This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Office 2.4.1 issues in KDE 4.1

Whenever I use Open Office in KDE 4.1, my display goes bonkers. I tried to get a screen shot but of course, it wouldn't do it then. Basically, what happens is that the taskbar and any plamoid I have will become unreadable. It's like the text will black out. If I stop tying in OOo it will go away but whenever I type, it comes back.

Has anyone experienced this before? Anyone know of a fix?

Re: Open Office 2.4.1 issues in KDE 4.1

Are you running Compiz or "Desktop Effects"? I recall a similar problem last year -- I think it was 7.04 and whatever OOO was current at that time. But there was no "solution" -- you either didn't run Compiz or you tolerated the goofy OO Writer display.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      Are you running Compiz or "Desktop Effects"? I recall a similar problem last year -- I think it was 7.04 and whatever OOO was current at that time. But there was no "solution" -- you either didn't run Compiz or you tolerated the goofy OO Writer display.
      No, no Compiz and Desktop Effects are not enabled.

Comment

It sounds like xorg and OOO are fighting, when you touch the keyboard.

On Intrepid Ibex, I have run the OO spreadsheet a number of times, while Compiz is enabled, so I know there is no problem with the spreadsheet. I'll try the writer tonight, to check it.

EDIT: Opened OOO Writer, verified I'm on 2.4.1, and played around long enough to be certain that there is nothing funny with the keyboard or mouse actions, when writing a document. So, I dunno.

Comment

I have had a similar (or maybe the same) issue, but only when when using nVidia proprietary drivers, if I disable the proprietary drivers everything works OK, also ATI drivers (on another PC) worked OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Windy
            I have had a similar (or maybe the same) issue, but only when when using nVidia proprietary drivers, if I disable the proprietary drivers everything works OK, also ATI drivers (on another PC) worked OK.
            I do have an nVidia card. I'm using drivers from EnvyNG. Would these be proprietary drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by kevin79

I do have an nVidia card. I'm using drivers from EnvyNG. Would these be proprietary drivers?
              Yes, EnvyNG installs the proprietary Nvidia driver.

But, I have the proprietary driver installed, and no OOO video issues on KDE 4.1.

Comment

Would OOo be considered a GTK application? If so, what option do you have checked for those in "Appearance"? Maybe my issue is because I have it set to use "My KDE style in GTK applications".

Comment

This is a pretty well known bug [presumably] with the nVIDIA driver... a blinking caret in any non-Qt app seems to make it appear on 6 and 7 series cards. There was just a beta nVIDIA driver released yesterday... perhaps it will be available soon with your preferred install method.

Same issue with Thunderbird, and a couple of other apps I can't think of right now... but for some reason it never appears with Firefox.

This issue seems to get less "press" than the resizing problems people have with the 8 series cards... I can't figure out why that is... this bug truly turns the screen to garbage.

Comment

Working...
                  X