This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

audio CD cataloging software

After a couple of hours searching for something I can use, I going to ask for help. The problem is to easily feed one's audio CD collection into your computer cd reader, and have the software read each disk, locate album and track information and write it to a searchable database. One might think (I do, anyway) that such a task would be desired by many people, but I've not been able to find a usable solution for Linux.

Two programs are mentioned several times, in the various hits I've gotten from Google -

cdcollect - there's a debian installation module for this, but it's supposed to be a Gnome program. Can I run such programs on my Kubuntu (I really don't know!)?

cdcat - this is in the adept package list, and I installed it. It has the meager documentation, and I cannot get it to really do much. I point to a cd, but it doesn't read track information, doesn't access any of the Internet track info. databases, etc. Here's a program description: "cdcat is graphical (QT based) multiplatform (Linux/Windows/MacOS) catalog program which scans the directories/drives you want and memoryze the filesystem (including the tags of mp3's) and store it in a small file." That's confusing. Doesn't sound like an audio CD scanner - but why's it called "cdcat"?

Can anyone help me make progress with this CD-cataloging problem?

Re: audio CD cataloging software

I had a quick look and couldn't see anything.

I had an idea for you though, you could convert your CDs to MP3. There are many programs which will automatically name the files from the only CD database (CDDB) and then you can place them in a mp3 manager like Amarok. You then have a searchable database plus you can easily play your files from your PC.

Comment

Working...
    X