This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help: How do you install kde 4.1?

I am a complete noob. I do not know how to install kde 4.1? Please give detailed instructions.

Re: Help: How do you install kde 4.1?

Instructions are on the KDE 4.1 release announcement at Kubuntu:

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.1

Post back if you don't know how to add the source to your /etc/apt/sources.list file.

Comment

I posted back a.k.a I don't know what the instructions are saying.

Comment

Code:
        Submitted on Tue, 2008-07-29

KDE 4.1 has been released and packages are available for Kubuntu 8.04, the Hardy Heron. 
        These packages install to /usr/lib/kde4 and can be installed along side your existing KDE 3 installation.
        Instructions
        This tells us the new version 4 will be available alongside the existing version 3, it will not overwrite it.
        Code:
        The updated packages for Kubuntu 8.04 are located in the Kubuntu Member's KDE 4 Personal Package Archive (PPA) repositories. 
        To update to KDE 4.1, please follow these instructions:
        Debian derived distributions like Ubuntu make their software available on-line via so-called 'Repositories'.
        You can access these repositories via the package manager, in Kubuntu that's Adept, but you could also use Synaptic (a Gnome application).

The next line (1) shows you how to tell Adept where these repositories are.
        So you start up Adept (K-menu/System/Adept Package Manager)

Click on the word Adept (left top) and select Maintain Repositories.
        Select the Tab Third Party Repositories and hit the Add button.

Now copy and paste into the box the following line:
        deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu hardy main

Close this window and hit the left top button marked Get Updates.

Code:
         1. Add deb [url]http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu[/url] hardy main to your /etc/apt/sources.list.
         2. If you already have the kubuntu-kde4-desktop packages installed, simply type sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade 
        and answer the questions in which you are prompted.
        The next line tells us what packages we need to install from this newly added repository.
        Code:
        If you do not have kubuntu-kde4-desktop installed, 
        simply type sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install kubuntu-kde4-desktop and answer the questions. 
        Both of these options are to be typed at the command prompt.
        In stead of typing (copy and past works) these commands into a terminal I suggest you select the one package you need ()kubuntu-kde4-desktop from the list in Adept and (right click) mark it for installation.
        Once marked you hit the Check Mark icon at the top to commit the changes.

When Adept is done downloading and installing you can close it and restart by logging out and in again.
        During log in you can select with which desktop you want to start up.
        Code:
        kdeplasma-addons contains new Plasma fun.

Thanks to Harald, Guillaume, Steve, Jon and Arby for preparing these packages.

Comment

Uh, I think I typed something wrong, now adept won't start up. It says: The APT Database could not be opened! this may be caused by incorrect APT configuration or some similar problem. (It's incorrect APT configuration) Try running apt-setup and apt-get update in terminal and see if it helps resolve the problem.

How do I fix adept?

Comment

Never mind, i fixed adept

Comment

Thanks, KDE 4.1 is working. Hey, any chance you know how to remove kde 3.5 now that I have kde 4.1.

Comment

Good job getting KDE 4.1 installed!

I don't think you want to attempt to delete KDE 3.5.9. There are too many shared libraries and packages -- removing 3.5.9 may pull some of them out and then KDE 4.1 won't work right. Just choose the KDE 4 session type when you log in, on the little menu on the login splash.

When Intreped Ibex is released in October, it will come with KDE 4 only, so if you want to install it then, you'll get a clean Kubuntu with KDE 4.

Comment

Thanks a bunch.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis
                    Code:
                    Submitted on Tue, 2008-07-29

KDE 4.1 has been released and packages are available for Kubuntu 8.04, the Hardy Heron. 
                    These packages install to /usr/lib/kde4 and can be installed along side your existing KDE 3 installation.
                    Instructions
                    This tells us the new version 4 will be available alongside the existing version 3, it will not overwrite it.
                    Code:
                    The updated packages for Kubuntu 8.04 are located in the Kubuntu Member's KDE 4 Personal Package Archive (PPA) repositories. 
                    To update to KDE 4.1, please follow these instructions:
                    Debian derived distributions like Ubuntu make their software available on-line via so-called 'Repositories'.
                    You can access these repositories via the package manager, in Kubuntu that's Adept, but you could also use Synaptic (a Gnome application).

The next line (1) shows you how to tell Adept where these repositories are.
                    So you start up Adept (K-menu/System/Adept Package Manager)

Click on the word Adept (left top) and select Maintain Repositories.
                    Select the Tab Third Party Repositories and hit the Add button.

Now copy and paste into the box the following line:
                    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu hardy main

Close this window and hit the left top button marked Get Updates.

Code:
                     1. Add deb [url]http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu[/url] hardy main to your /etc/apt/sources.list.
                     2. If you already have the kubuntu-kde4-desktop packages installed, simply type sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade 
                    and answer the questions in which you are prompted.
                    The next line tells us what packages we need to install from this newly added repository.
                    Code:
                    If you do not have kubuntu-kde4-desktop installed, 
                    simply type sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install kubuntu-kde4-desktop and answer the questions. 
                    Both of these options are to be typed at the command prompt.
                    In stead of typing (copy and past works) these commands into a terminal I suggest you select the one package you need ()kubuntu-kde4-desktop from the list in Adept and (right click) mark it for installation.
                    Once marked you hit the Check Mark icon at the top to commit the changes.

When Adept is done downloading and installing you can close it and restart by logging out and in again.
                    During log in you can select with which desktop you want to start up.
                    Code:
                    kdeplasma-addons contains new Plasma fun.

Thanks to Harald, Guillaume, Steve, Jon and Arby for preparing these packages.
                    OK, this is going to seem like a dumb question BUT, after I followed the above instructions (I think) how does one know it it was successful?

With Adept I downloaded some 79 items, some of which were KDE 4.1 related. I did a reboot thinking it would give me some menu to select either v. 3.5x or 4.1. All I saw was the GRUB option - nothing to do with KDE and my machine booted into what appears to be KDE 3.5x screen, exactly what I had pre-update.

Where does one find out exactly which KDE is running and if it's 3.5x how does one change it?

Sorry for being a n00b, but I trying to learn.

Cheers,

Harry

Comment

If you chose the KDE4 Session Type, from the login "greeter" -- the place where you enter your name and password -- then you are running KDE4. If you want to verify it, open Konqueror or Dolphin, click "Help > About KDE" and it will show the KDE version number.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                        If you chose the KDE4 Session Type, from the login "greeter" -- the place where you enter your name and password -- then you are running KDE4. If you want to verify it, open Konqueror or Dolphin, click "Help > About KDE" and it will show the KDE version number.
                        Yes, I found what I assume is the session type menu - I never noticed it before.

Alas, no KDE 4.1 found.

I ran another update (yes the repository mentioned in previous post is on the list). No updates found.

I'm stumped.

Harry

Comment

Originally posted by hlmyers

Alas, no KDE 4.1 found.
                          I'm gonna go way out on a limb and suggest maybe you didn't actually install what you thought you installed.

:P

The instructions are shown on this page:

Probably you need to follow #1 in a very careful manner and try again with the installation.

If you're pretty new, you might be challenged to "add deb http://blah blah blah" to your sources list. Open the Adept Manager, look at the "Manage Repositories" or whatever that tab says, and follow the onscreen guidance to add the indicated repository to your list of repositories. Once it is listed, then you need to click "fetch" to update the package list, and then you are ready to either select it on the package list, or use the console to "apt-get install" it.

Comment

Re: Help: How do you install kde 4.1? (SOLVED)

Originally posted by dibl
                            Originally posted by hlmyers

Alas, no KDE 4.1 found.
                            I'm gonna go way out on a limb and suggest maybe you didn't actually install what you thought you installed.

:P

The instructions are shown on this page:

Probably you need to follow #1 in a very careful manner and try again with the installation.

If you're pretty new, you might be challenged to "add deb http://blah blah blah" to your sources list. Open the Adept Manager, look at the "Manage Repositories" or whatever that tab says, and follow the onscreen guidance to add the indicated repository to your list of repositories. Once it is listed, then you need to click "fetch" to update the package list, and then you are ready to either select it on the package list, or use the console to "apt-get install" it.
                            The repository was added successfully (by cut and paste twice) don't understand why it didn't work. However using the terminal and pasting in: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade did the trick just fine!

My the difference between 4.1 and 3.5x is astounding.

Thanks for the hint about reading the 4.1 page CAREFULLY, I appreciate you time and guidance.

Cheers,

Harry

Comment

Yes, KDE 4.1 is a very different KDE. I suspect it won't really be as stable as folks need until 4.2 is released in January. I'm using it, kinda-sorta, and of course I'm running it on Intrepid Ibex, which is also something less than "finished work" at this moment, so it's a little hard to tell whether the bugs I see are from II or KDE 4.1. But a lot of stuff actually works, including most of my main "productivity" packages like the OOO suite, gimp, K3b, FF3, and VMware. So, what the heck ...

Comment

Working...
                              X