This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<SOLVED> Flash not working with Firefox 3

I know this is an old topic (which I'd think would suggest a general problem), but I haven't been able to solve the problem.

[running FF 3.0.1 on latest, fully updated Hardy]

First I tried installing "flashplugin-nonfree" from the package manager. Some video, some sites, worked (was it Flash? how would I know? clueless). YouTube video just appeared to load, but there was no video, no sound.

Then I downloaded the Linux tgz model from Adobe and installed it per instructions. There was a message in the console install output which said to remove "xpti.dat" from the components directory of mozilla. It said it just about like that. I looked in /home/{user}/.mozilla, and didn't see a components dir. I did a locate for the file and saw one in the seamonkey dir (Seamonkey? WHO installed THAT?). I removed it.

At this point, the flashplulgin-nonfree had simply been left in place.

It's not at all clear that anything was any better. YouTube's was still worthless, as before. I'm clearly getting video on some sites, but not on others.

I removed the "nonfree" thing. It didn't make a difference. Yes, I restarted my FF browser a number of times.

At this point I'm really tired of playing weekend geek. Weekend's over, and I'm not much of a geek, obviously. I don't get it, clearly, and don't know what to do next. I'd just like to get normal function in my browser.

Any suggestions?

Re: Flash not working with Firefox 3

If you go here: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3095771.0 and follow the instructions in Post No. 6, it will work like a dream.

... at least, it did for me.

Comment

Re: &lt;SOLVED&gt; Flash not working with Firefox 3

The source of my problem turned out to be a muted channel in the sound system.

This was neither detected nor fixable from the KMenu System Settings Sound System functions window. Simply not addressed there.

But it IS if you right click in far right area of the taskbar, then add the "Sound Mixer" applet to the task bar. Once that's available, check each channel to see that it's not muted. For some reason, when I upgraded to Hardy some channels got muted. It simply took me a while to figure this out and to find a way to address it.

Comment

Re: &lt;SOLVED&gt; Flash not working with Firefox 3

Good you found the solution in the sound mixer.

In case this doesn't work for others there is the Alsamixergui with more options.

Comment

Working...
        X