This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home directory very slow to resolve in 4.1 hardy

Big problem... lately, with every logout (apparently), a problem arises with my kde 4.1 that dolphin takes about 5 seconds to "find" my user home. Konsole reacts the same. And firefox and thunderbird won't start at all... removing (renaming) .kde4 fixes the problem, but only for that [next] session apparently... I haven't had time to trouble shoot this too much yet, but anyone experience anything like this before?

My 3.5.9 desktop is unaffected.

Re: Home directory very slow to resolve in 4.1 hardy

No, I ran 4.0 and 4.1 under Hardy for several months until I installed Intrepid this week, and I never saw such a problem (saw many others, but not that one). I'd say something is wrong -- you can run Dolphin from a Konsole and maybe observe errors. You can run top in a window and see if something else is using resources while Dolphin is trying to start. That's all I can think of.

Comment

I've observed a behavior in KDE 4.1 that (apparently) does not exist in KDE 3.5.9. When you remove/rename the .kde4 folder, a new one is immediately created! It doesn't have (yet) all that was in the one removed/renamed, but it is created - instantly.

I ended up with an odd issue, in that four occurrences of kate would be running when I rebooted. Tried every which way to prevent this, including the 'remove/rename .kde4' "solution." What eventually worked, was to remove/rename the .kde4 folder from outside of the running environment. In my case, I rebooted into one of my KDE 3.5.9 version of HH and did it from there. A reboot back into HH KDE 4.1 then started up without these kate sessions. Of course, I had to set up my desktop and such again, but that was a small matter.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        ...was to remove/rename the .kde4 folder from outside of the running environment. In my case, I rebooted into one of my KDE 3.5.9 version of HH and did it from there. A reboot back into HH KDE 4.1 then started up...
        That is how i get a new .kde4 as well. I'm in 3.5.9 right now, but i'll try top when i get back to 4.1...

Like i said though, other apps are having issues not just dolphin. Uggh.

Comment

I've observed a behavior in KDE 4.1 that (apparently) does not exist in KDE 3.5.9. When you remove/rename the .kde4 folder, a new one is immediately created! It doesn't have (yet) all that was in the one removed/renamed, but it is created - instantly.
          Noticed that myself just about 2 days ago and again yesterday when updating my daughter's computer to 4.1. For some reason whenever you have updates for 4.x you have to delete the .kde4 directory. I really hope that is only a side effect with the blending of KDE4 with HH.

I ended up with an odd issue, in that four occurrences of kate would be running when I rebooted. Tried every which way to prevent this, including the 'remove/rename .kde4' "solution." What eventually worked, was to remove/rename the .kde4 folder from outside of the running environment.
          Same here (2 days ago).

Comment

...I ended up with an odd issue, in that four occurrences of kate would be running when I rebooted...
            I had the same issue as well, with kde-nightly... not kate though, a couple of other apps.. gwenview I think.

Perhaps a reinstall is in order for me... i've been hacking this box since hardy betas... never meant for it to become my daily machine, but it just sort of worked out that way...

Comment

Before you go and decide to reinstall, boot into recovery mode. From the command line, CD into your user home directory and either rename or remove the hidden .kde4 directory. The shutdown and reboot.

Comment

Before you go and decide to reinstall, boot into recovery mode. From the command line, CD into your user home directory and either rename or remove the hidden .kde4 directory. The shutdown and reboot.
                Already tried that, for the original topic (unless you are suggesting that recovery mode would act diff. than 3.5.9)

Comment

Not sure if choosing KDE 3.5.9 from the KDM login and making the change would be any different than booting into recovery mode. But, booting into recovery mode means that neither X nor KDM are running. So, as you (don't appear) to have anything to loose, that's what I'd try before deciding to do a complete reinstall.

Comment

Not quite ready to call this solved yet (since i don't know which config file was corrupted or causing the problem), but another delete of .kde4 has appeared to stuck this time... the first time I tried deleting it I did it with dolphin in 3.5.9, which with hindsight was fairly dumb... so this last time I used the kde3 konq.

To reiterate the problem that I was having in 4.1:

Dolphin would start up just fine, except no files or folders would appear in home for about 5-10 seconds and then they would all just would on their own.

Konsole would start up just fine, except only a cursor would appear for about 5-10 seconds, and then the usual "username@whatever:~$ prompt would appear.

Firefox and Thunderbird would both just churn in the taskbar for 10-20 seconds and never open. The process would not start, as far as I recall.

Thanks for the suggestions and support guys!

Comment

Problem is back, but perhaps the cause is found:

I changed the GTK Styles and Themes (?) in System Settings from use KDE theme to QT4 and then when I logout/in the problem is back... not so slow to resolve the home path, but that could be because .kde4 is mostly empty. The GTK apps (Firefox and Thunderbird) still fail to launch...

Won't have time to play with this much this week, other than to fix it with the deletion of .kde4 again, but I suspect that finding the system settings config file and/or directory in .kde4 might be enough...

Comment

Working...
                      X