Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to force Kubuntu to check for updates?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to force Kubuntu to check for updates?

I had installed Kubuntu, the latest edition. 8.04.

Upon updating the first time it ran into a problem, said the package manager was already in use, and after doing some research here I found a terminal command to fix that.

Now I do not believe all my files are updated like they should be, since it stopped with an error in the middle of doing the updating. An example would be that I only have Firefox 2 installed and not 3, and it is not telling me I need any updates.

I know I can go in and install FF3 and remove FF2, I am just concerned there are other things that need updating still, and am curious if there is a way like in ubuntu to force it to check for updates.

Thank you for your help.

Re: Is there a way to force Kubuntu to check for updates?

One way is to run Adept, and click the "Fetch Updates" button. After fetching updates it will let you know at the bottom of the screen how many programs can be upgraded, etc. Then you push the "Full Upgrade" button and "Apply Changes".

You could also go to the console and type "sudo apt-get update". That will fetch the latest updates available to you. Then type "sudo apt-get upgrade" and that will give you a list of what you can upgrade.

FF2 and FF3 are treated as two separate programs, so you will never be prompted to upgrade to FF3. You have to choose to install it. I believe you can have both installed at the same time, at least for a short while.

Comment

Re: Is there a way to force Kubuntu to check for updates?

If necessary, execute sudo apt-get -f install

This will repair broken installations. Of course, you will have to do this in a terminal

Comment

Working...
      X