This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Undoing compiz [Solved]

So I read that kde4 has or is going to be getting a cube effect similar to compiz. Knowing the difficulties I sometimes have, I decided to remove compiz now, rather than wait until I figure out where to get this plugin from.

So yeah, I removed compiz, but now none of my windows have a border around the outside, nor the bar across the top. They come back if I do a "sudo kwin". Is there a way to make this right? I don't want to have to manually do this everytime I boot.

Ideas?

Re: Undoing compiz

You should only have to Alt+F2 and type kwin --replace
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Okay, so I went ahead and did that in kde3, and now it works there, but it didn't fix it in kde4.

Kde4 is also having this neat issue whereby neither a konsole window nor the run window will accept any keyboard input. I can assure you, there is nothing inherently wrong with the keyboard.

Is there a way to fix it in kde4 either from a command prompt (via ctrl-alt-f2 for instance), or from within kde3?

Comment

If you haven't done much/any desktop configuration, or you don't mind redoing it again, then from your KDE3 session, you can open Konqueror and in your home directory, click on View > Show Hidden Files. Either rename the .kde4 folder (.kde4_OLD). Then do a normal shutdown/restart and select your KDE4 session when you login. See if you then have a working Alt+F2 and that a console behaves at it should.

Comment

Huh -- Alt-F2 never worked on KDE 4.0/4.1 on my Hardy Heron system, so don't hold your breath! But Compiz did work. Now I have KDE 4.1 on Intrepid, and Al-F2 works, but no Nvidia driver so no Compiz.

But, I think Snowhog's recommendation to remove/rename the .kde4 folder should get you back to whatever KDE 4 functionality you had upon installation (no Compiz).

Comment

Huzzah! I renamed the .kde folder in my home directory, and now kde4 is back!

Thanks a ton folks.

Comment

Re: Undoing compiz [Solved]

Happy to assist.

Comment

Working...
              X