This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Login window font size too big

For some reason, the fonts for my login screen are huge! The text all runs together and overlaps, and my username takes up the whole screen (or more), so that I can't even see where to type my password. This occurs with both the KDE 3.5 and KDE 4 display managers. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks!

Re: Login window font size too big

sure, there is, but you have to login somehow first. that's how it can be done in KDE3: launch "system settings", click on the "advanced" tab, and then on the "login manager" icon. among other tabs, there's the one you need - "font". play with it ;-) i guess, KDE4 has a similar approach, but not sure - i don't use it
    community is what will save us

Comment

or go to a tty with ctrl+F1, login and edit the "/etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc" file adding "-dpi 96" at the end of the line "ServerArgsLocal=-br -nolisten tcp "

1- ctrl+f1
      2- login
      3- sudo nano -w /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc
      4- and modify ServerArgsLocal like ServerArgsLocal=-br -nolisten tcp -dpi 96

Comment

Originally posted by c.user
        or go to a tty with ctrl+F1, login and edit the "/etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc" file adding "-dpi 96" at the end of the line "ServerArgsLocal=-br -nolisten tcp "

1- ctrl+f1
        2- login
        3- sudo nano -w /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc
        4- and modify ServerArgsLocal like ServerArgsLocal=-br -nolisten tcp -dpi 96
        Yay! Thank you!

Incidentally, I couldn't find this file in the kde4 folder (but I've switched my display manager back to 3.5 for now.) Does anyone know if kdmrc has been moved, renamed, or something for KDE 4?

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the kdmrc file. This bug also bit me here after installing the 8.04 updated installer--stupid bug I think. Anyway, I'm posting for google searches so others can find this fix quickly.

kubuntu hardy kdm huge fonts login ubuntu

I used "vim" to edit the file '/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc'

This is what was there: "ServerArgsLocal=-nolisten tcp"
          This is what is there now: "ServerArgsLocal=-nolisten tcp -dpi 96"

Note, logging out as user doesn't reset kdm. Killing x with control+alt+backspace doesn't reset kdm. I actually had to reboot. Once the system came up, kdm (for the first time since I did this install about a month ago) was finally able to be used and seen, prior to this fix, I logged in blind. I should have attempted a server restart prior to booting, but I didn't.

Thanks all for this info. Now lets hope later kubuntu additions don't include this stupid glitch.

regards,
          --<br />wishing you well

Comment

Working...
          X