X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4 packages won't download properly

I'm at work behind a firewall.

When I follow the instructions on the Kubuntu homepage to download KDE 4.1, I have trouble downloading packages from ppa.launchpad.net. For example kde-icons-oxygen starts download relatively fast, downloads a couple megabytes, and then nearly stops downloading - a few bytes every few minutes. Eventually it times out and re-starts that particular package. I only have this problem with packages from ppa.launchpad.net. Since I often get a couple megabytes into a download, most packages finish since they are smaller. kde-icons-oxygen is about 50MB, so it NEVER finishes.

So, something is allowing it to make an HTTP connection, start downloading fast, and then suddenly slow down. I talked to our sysadmin about our firewall, and the firewall is obviously not blocking the connection - it indeed downloads some data. Also, the firewall shouldn't be throttling my bandwidth or anything like that.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is it on my end?

Also, on a side note, if I download the latest Kubuntu Live CD with KDE 4, will it have all the latest packages, or will it only have packages up until April?

Re: KDE 4 packages won't download properly

Well, for what it's worth, I changed the proxy settings in Synaptic to go through a free proxy server, and now it works, just slowly.

I guess that means that the problem is on our end, but I still think it's odd that I only have this problem with packages from ppa.launchpad.net. If anyone has any thoughts on that, I'd like to figure it out., but I guess I'm ok for now.

Comment

Working...
    X