Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kaffeine bork caused by Hardy kernel /dev/scd0 change kaffeine/dev/hd0 in config

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kaffeine bork caused by Hardy kernel /dev/scd0 change kaffeine/dev/hd0 in config

See latest thread proposed fix for kaffeine, xine and kscd by changing settings from package /dev/hd0 to /dev/scd0.
    Hardy kernel now calls /dev/hdx /dev/scdx.
    The package maintainers have not caught up with the kernel maintainers yet.
    This distro is getting so big, people do not talk to each other it seems.
    Stay on gard less the kernel calls devices something else again.
    FYI the same device error is in intrepid too, same problems
    so they still are not talking.
    Come on developers be nice to each other------

Kaffeine package in Hardy is dumbed down and still not fixed in Hardy Heron 32 bit KDE 3.5.9

Even though user video is enabled, it will complain DVD's are encrypted, even though codecs are installed.
    Unlike the Debian Kaffeine package which confirms the codecs, hardy and intrepid fire up with no confirmation and complain
    as above ---DVD encrypted, not enough rights etc----, which is rubbish.

The only way to get Kaffeine to run in user is to run the DVD as Kaffeine root gui login first.
    This is fine until one reboots and the silliness returns.

VLC plays dvd's fine as user with no intervention.

What on earth has happened to the Hardy Kaffeine and xine-ui packages, it troubles me that are still borked.

Hopefully the developers will fix these errors, if they have time after playing with KDE4.x where the same problems persist.
    Heres hoping, or I may install KDE on top of Gnome, as Totem is still clever enough to recognise codecs.
    Best
    El Zorro
    It should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler than it should be---Albert Einstein

Re: Kaffeine still too dumb to recognise codecs.

I just tried using Kaffeine and it seems fine to me, it initially did have problems but the latest version plays DVDs without any issues at least for me. I am using Kaffeine 0.8.6

Comment

Kaffeine works just fine in my GG and HH installations. Are you by chance running KDE 4? My HOWTO: Get commercial DVD playback in Kaffeine 'just works' when running KDE 3.5.9.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi Guys,
        I most dislike KDE4.x so far, a fork in the road with lots of potholes, and KDE4 Kaffeine did the same in Intrepid 32.
        So no, I run KDE 3.5.9 in Hardy by choice, so much better.
        Glad Kaffeine works for you, but I suspect that you have no need for codecs where you dwell to play DVD's so Kaffeine cares not and can be dumb.
        Here in the land of Oz due to the plethora of Hollywood area codes, we need codecs to play DVDs and Hardy (not Gutsy) Kaffeine spits the dummy as described in my post above which you no doubt read.

I think perhaps I will uninstall the Hardy Kaffeine and Xine-ui packages and use the Gutsy or Debian packages to see if this helps.
        No doubt hardy will try to replace them though.
        However some sort of Python programming may strangle them too.

FYI this same problem is reproduced in P4 and 2x AMD dual core machines in the Land of Oz running Hardy,
        So methinks something is rotten in Hardy with Kaffeine-xine codecs.

Perhaps you could reconfigure your machines to think they live in Oz and see what happens?

However it seems more subtle, possibly tied up with the K(ubuntu) root-sudo paradigm somehow as Kaffeine works in a root GUI login, and then works in user for that session after logout root,--login user until reboot when the sillyness returns..

This is using Kaffeine 0.8.6.
        This is the message on reboot even though libdvdcss2 is installed.

"This DVD Video is encrypted. To be able to watch it you will need to install libdvdcss by running from a console: sudo /usr/share/doc/kaffeine/install-css.sh. In some countries it is illegal to install the decryption software without permission from the video copyright holder."

Best
        El Zorro
        It should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler than it should be---Albert Einstein

Comment

Usually, when an application doesn't run (or run fully/correctly) by a logged in user, but does when run by root, it implies the possibility that some configuration file(s) in your /home directory have had their ownership changed to that of root.

Comment

Oh well
            I dumped the Hardy dumb Kaffeine 0.8.6. package and installed Debian Unstable Kaffeine 0.8.7. and this fixed things straight away.
            It gave an interactive dialog that it had picked up all the codecs and played DVD's as user straight off no problem.
            Just as well (K)ubuntu has not yet forked too much and can still use Debian.deb packages.

Don't know what has happened to the kubuntu kaffeine 0.8.6 package for it gives no interactive dialog at all now just fires up and misses out on codecs on my machines in Oz anyway.
            Best
            El Zorro

Comment

Re: Kaffeine 0.8.6 too dumb to recognise codecs Unstable Kaffeine 0.8.7 fixes this.

Well, you've found a solution that works for you, and that's really all that matters.

Just popped a DVD into my caddy and told the system to open it with Kaffeine (0.8.6 on KDE 3.5.9) and it plays just fine.

I wonder if the repositories for your selected location are in fact, do not include 'everything' that might be needed. But that doesn't really make sense, given that you were able to get Kaffeine to play properly when launched as root. Hmm. A mystery to be sure.

Comment

Re: Kaffeine 0.8.6 too dumb to recognise codecs Unstable Kaffeine 0.8.7 fixes th

Thanx Snowhog,
                it certainly is a mystery, but if only the kubuntu Hardy Kaffeine 0.8.6 package ran an interactive dialog screen when it ran for the first time which it did not.

The gutsy package and the debian 0.8.7 package do just that, ie run a dialog screen and this seems much surer of success.
                I removed and purged the hardy package to no avail, and same for xine-ui.
                Beats me.
                Regards
                El Zorro

Comment

Re: Kaffeine 0.8.6 too dumb to recognise codecs - further stories--read on--

If one fires up Kpackage (apt-get install kdeadmin first if you want kpackage)
                  then search on kaffeine,
                  I installed debugging, Gstreamer engine and mozilla plugin,
                  This then fixes Hardy kaffeine 0.8.6 on rebooting after installing these extras to play with your installed codecs
                  from medibuntu if you need them as I did.

So beats me how kaffeine got left short of its needs to recognise installed codecs.
                  Cheers
                  El Zorro.

Comment

Re: Kaffeine 0.8.6 too dumb to recognise codecs- further stories-needs debugging,etc

Your (and my) problem is a known bug in Kaffeine.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ne/+bug/210303

I'm glad to hear that your installation of 0.8.7 fixed the problem. that means they have it sorted out. surely the kubuntu people will start to include this update soon in our repositories.

Comment

Re: Kaffeine 0.8.6 too dumb to recognise codecs- further stories-needs debugging,etc

Interesting. On my HH running KDE 3.5.9, I don't have the three kaffeine-* packages (identified by KPackage when searching on kaffeine) installed, yet my Kaffeine works just fine. I'm installing the debugging package however - always useful having the tools needed to document a crash when it happens.

Comment

Re: Kaffeine 0.8.6 too dumb to recognise codecs- further stories-needs debugging

Spoke too soon,
                        Kaffeine on one system resists all this and is a gutsy upgrade, so upgrades can have very stubborn problems.
                        Back to the Debian unstable kaffeine and hope for the best.
                        Regards
                        El Zorr0

Comment

Might have a solution to the Kaffeine Problem.

Put DVD in drive. Kaffeine came up with the sameo sameo. Closed Kaffeine. Noted Disk on desktop so clicked...opened. Double clicked on .vob file and Kaff came up & announced
                          codecs didn't exist and asked if I wanted them. Downloaded and installed codec

Works fine now.

Never Re-boot?? Dunno!

Comment

as this is a further stories thread I hijack into it.

I just moved from the United States of America to Europe. I don't know if it is a total coincidence but I have a hard time getting kaffeine to play anything at all anymore.
                            Every time I open up kaffeine to play some movie files (I rarely do DVDs) I sooner, maybe just a little later in a few cases, end up in the neverending download codecs - already installed loop. I don't know why, I have the codecs, but any neverending loop is a case of insufficient programming. I get a warning about some not yet stable API in Python APT module when running kaffeine from the konsole, but still, for me right now kaffeine has degraded to a useless bunch of 0's and 1's on my harddrive.

This happened just as I got KDE4 in aswell when I think of it, so I am giving the Dragon a few test runs and so far it is reasonably good except not really flexible (that is un-K-ish, if such a word exists) and controllable.

I tried to deinstall and reinstall kaffeine, delete anything with a name near kaffeine in .kde folder - still no effect...

Comment

Originally posted by heinkel_111
                              as this is a further stories thread I hijack into it.

Every time I open up kaffeine to play some movie files (I rarely do DVDs) I sooner, maybe just a little later in a few cases, end up in the neverending download codecs - already installed loop. I don't know why, I have the codecs, but any neverending loop is a case of insufficient programming.
                              I have experienced this behavior also. Kaffeine has always been a little sensitive about files names. Take a look at the file name of files that are causing problems and take out any spaces or weird characters. I know that "#" makes it do goofy things.
                              FKA: tanderson

Comment

Working...
                              X