This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.1

is it safe,and what about the release candidate that just came out,has anybody tried it?

i currently have 4.0.5 and it sometimes slows down,besides KNetworkManager isn't doing a good job lately

one last question,how do i know what KDE version i have,because it differs when i click on "about KDE" from an application to another

Re: KDE 4.1

I've been using 4.1 RC1 since three days after release. I haven't had issues, BUT, I have put in a lot of time figuring out work arounds for the known issues. There are quite a few. With that out of the way, I can say I've been very pleased with it. Yes it is different. Yes there are a few minor annoyances and no it isn't quite as customizable as 3.5.9, but it is a whole new DeskTop interface and I've been 98% productive with it. Once the Final release is made, my laptop will go the way of my desktop - 4.1 all the way. Hope this helps.

Comment

what issues do u mean?

Comment

This is a long thread, but many of us have documented several of them here.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3094578.0

To name a few:

Dolphin may crash on certain Video files when right clicking
        Some Alt-F2 functions aren't complete
        Some initial sound problems on boot (which do correct themselves once booted.

Most of these have all been to be Kubuntu related as some have said, but since I only use Kubuntu, it is hard for me to say for certain.

Comment

sorry 4 asking too much questions,but do i wait for KDE 4.2 or will 4.1 resolve my problems?

Comment

If you're already using 4.0.5, 4.1 shouldn't make any problems worse. In many ways it is heaps better than the 4.0.x series.

Comment

No doubt KDE 4.1RC1 is way better than whatever incarnation of the 4.0.X series. There are many improvements all over the desktop experience: dolphin, gwenview, konsole, kwrite. There are a couple of apps I am still using from kde 3, but I could not go back.

From the settings perspective, it is hard to say what I would like to customize but I am not allowed to. There are missing plasmoids, and superkaramba/mac os dashboard support seem to be still broken.

I have a dual head setup, and the panels are not correctly displayed, (i.e. the configuration is lost from session to session)

Comment

okay,thanks guys

now,how do i upgrade my 4.0.x KDE to the 4.1

PS:i don't want to keep my existing version of KDE,and want the settings to be the same as i left them before the upgrade,thanks again in advance

Comment

In order to install KDE 4.1, RC1, here is a simple howto

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.1rc1

It will keep your KDE 4.0.5 configuration (at least, I don't remember having any issues)

Comment

i heared that the stable version of 4.1 will be released on 29th this month,is that true?

Comment

Yes, the stable 4.1 will be released next Tuesday. By Wednesday, the stable packages should hit our repos !

Comment

Working...
                      X