This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Improper logout with apcupsd

When system shutdown was initiated with apcupsd I expected the current KDE session should be correctly logged out, but it was suddenly interrupted . Adam Kropelin on Apcupsd-users mailing list wrote:

This is the job of your operating system. Apcupsd simply issues a shutdown
    command (see apccontrol script to find out what command it uses on your
    system). Proper logout, etc. is the operating system's responsibility.

How can I fix this problem on Kubuntu 8.04?

Re: Improper logout with apcupsd

apcupsd

APC UPS Power Management (daemon)

apcupsd provides UPS power management for APC products, including most BackUPS series models (including USB), SmartUPS V/S, SmartUPS (NET/RM), and Matrix series.

It controls and monitors the status of UPS and allows your computer to run for a specified length of time on UPS power, and then executes a controlled shutdown in the case of an extended power failure.
    Is this what you are referring to?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      apcupsd

APC UPS Power Management (daemon)

apcupsd provides UPS power management for APC products, including most BackUPS series models (including USB), SmartUPS V/S, SmartUPS (NET/RM), and Matrix series.

It controls and monitors the status of UPS and allows your computer to run for a specified length of time on UPS power, and then executes a controlled shutdown in the case of an extended power failure.
      Is this what you are referring to?
      Yes.

Comment

I guess then that I'm confused by your initial post. If I understand correctly, you were attempting to log out from Kubuntu using the UPS Power Management daemon? Why?? Or are you stating that you in fact had an extended power failure and apcupsd did not properly execute a controlled shutdown? Can you explain what you meant when you said "...it was suddenly interrupted"

Comment

I guess then that I'm confused by your initial post. If I understand correctly, you were attempting to log out from Kubuntu using the UPS Power Management daemon? Why?? Or are you stating that you in fact had an extended power failure and apcupsd did not properly execute a controlled shutdown? Can you explain what you meant when you said "...it was suddenly interrupted"
          During Full Power Down Test apcupsd initiated system shutdown and then instead of the current KDE session correctly logged out it was suddenly interrupted . Apcupsd shutdown itself succeeded.

Comment

What this sounds like is a 'timing' problem. What settings are tweakable in apcupsd?

Comment

What this sounds like is a 'timing' problem. What settings are tweakable in apcupsd?
              The settings concerned with timing used in /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf are:
              BATTERYLEVEL 5
              MINUTES 3
              TIMEOUT 0
              (They were left unchanged after installation of the package apcupsd.)
              By the way there was no such problem in Sarge some years ago but that system does not exist anymore.
              As Adam wrote (see my 1st post) the command used is in /etc/apcupsd/apccontrol script; IMHO merely:
              /sbin/shutdown -h now
              But apccontrol script is a part of the package apcupsd. I wonder if nobody came across and sort out this problem - using UPS is quite usual for Linux.

Comment

man shutdown
                OPTIONS
                -r Requests that the system be rebooted after it has been brought
                down.

-h Requests that the system be either halted or powered off after
                it has been brought down, with the choice as to which left up to
                [i]the system.

-H Requests that the system be halted after it has been brought
                down.

-P Requests that the system be powered off after it has been
                brought down.
                Possibly change the -h parameter to -P instead?

Comment

man shutdown
                  OPTIONS
                  -r Requests that the system be rebooted after it has been brought
                  down.

-h Requests that the system be either halted or powered off after
                  it has been brought down, with the choice as to which left up to
                  [i]the system.

-H Requests that the system be halted after it has been brought
                  down.

-P Requests that the system be powered off after it has been
                  brought down.
                  Possibly change the -h parameter to -P instead?
                  Well, the whole problem does not concern with the system shutdowm itself - as I posted before it was succeeded! The problem is with THE NORMAL LOGOUT FROM THE KDE SESSION MEANWHILE! The command "shutdown" (and all its options) does NOT know ANYTHING ABOUT KDE!

Comment

Well, since there is no any progress in solving this problem, where is the exact location to submit this bug to?

Comment

Working...
                    X