This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kioslave for FLAC and MP3 a no-show

I need help. I haven't tried ripping CDs in a while (at least since installing 8.04), but when I put a CD-Audio into my drive and open it in Konqueror, the only folder that the kioslave displays is for OGG. The FLAC and MP3 folders are missing (WAV is there, of course). And I have what I think are the proper libraries installed:

- kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins
    - kdemultimedia-kio-plugins
    - liblame0
    - libflac8

Btw, I can listen to MP3 files all I want. I just can't tell if I can play FLAC files because I don't have any. I was planning to rip some when this problem appeared.

I've seen other complaints elsewhere about it, but no solutions. Anyone have any ideas?
    In hindsight, everything can be funny<br />--Anonymous

Re: kioslave for FLAC and MP3 a no-show

I think that you now use K3B to rip CD's. I know that it will work for ogg and mp3, but since most of my CD's are ancient rock and roll, I've never tried flac.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, but I think you might have it backward. I don't want to burn a CD of MP3 or FLAC files, I want to rip the files off the CD into MP3 or FLAC. It used to work using the kioslaves in Konqueror, and should work again. There's clearly a bug here that there isn't an obvious fix for.

I've used K3B before to burn CD-Rs, and it works really well. But that's not what I need this time.

Comment

I believe K3b works both ways! You can use it as ripper. You will need the appropriate codecs, but if you can listen to mp3s, I believe you can also rip them. Try it, what have you got to lose and you might join the many people who have proven me wrong!

Comment

I checked it out...you're right! I would never have guessed an optical disc burning app would be able to rip files off a disc, but it does indeed seem to have that capability. Thanks for pointing it out. While it's not nearly as convenient as the kioslave in Konqueror, it's a good backup plan.

Thanks again.

Comment

Update: I got part of my problem fixed the way I wanted to. I did a little more digging and found that I should have installed Lame for the MP3 portion of our show. Lo and behold, when I refreshed the CD Audio window in Konqueror, an MP3 folder appeared! I already have the FLAC codec installed, so I'm still not sure what's up there, but I'm on the right track

Comment

As for FLAC, I think this is the problem:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...a/+bug/160260/

Comment

Working...
              X