This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conflicted Upgrade from KDE 4.1 beta 2 to RC1

From what I can tell, here is my problem. I installed Beta 2 along with Kontact & the PIM packages.

I can get to the command line. I can run non-kde pacakages like synaptic & firefox but only one at a time. So it's not particularly easy to provide the 100% exact package names for this post. But I think what follows provides enough information to understand the problem.

This morning I upgraded the various packages KDE 4.1 packages. It appears that most of the base packages & a few more have been upgraded to RC1. HOWEVER, the Kontact/PIM packages have not.

The result is that I can boot into neither the KDE 3.5.9 nor the KDE 4.1 desktop. Running various commands from the command line, I find out that kde-icons-oxygen-something-something tries to overwrite some PNG file that is part of a package called "libkdepim4-kde4 (or something similar). Then apt-get dies with an error. If I try to remove the offending libkdepim4-kde4 (or something similar), it would appear that all of KDE 4 would be removed.

I would like to know if there is someway to launch KDE 4? Is there a some minimal solution like uninstalling specific packages? And if so which ones? Or do I pretty much have to wait for the upgraded packages for Kontact to become available?

All suggestions are welcome

Re: Conflicted Upgrade from KDE 4.1 beta 2 to RC1

I'm seeing a similar problem. I'm unable to get 'kdebase-runtime' to upgrade due to a dependency on 'kde-icons-oxygen':

Code:
    root@striatum ~ # apt-get dist-upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done     
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done   
    You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     kdebase-runtime: Depends: kde-icons-oxygen (>= 4:4.0.98-0ubuntu1~hardy1~ppa1) but 4:4.0.83-0ubuntu1~hardy1~ppa5 is installed
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
    If I try with the force option, then I get the same issue as timek718:

Code:
    root@striatum ~ # apt-get -f dist-upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Correcting dependencies... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    The following packages will be upgraded:
     kde-icons-oxygen
    1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    25 not fully installed or removed.
    Need to get 0B/49.4MB of archives.
    After this operation, 971kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
     kde-icons-oxygen
    Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
    (Reading database ... 138524 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace kde-icons-oxygen 4:4.0.83-0ubuntu1~hardy1~ppa5 (using .../kde-icons-oxygen_4%3a4.0.98-0ubuntu1~hardy1~ppa1_all.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement kde-icons-oxygen ...
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/kde-icons-oxygen_4%3a4.0.98-0ubuntu1~hardy1~ppa1_all.deb (--unpack):
     trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/kde4/share/icons/oxygen/32x32/actions/appointment-new.png', which is also in package libkdepim4-kde4
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     /var/cache/apt/archives/kde-icons-oxygen_4%3a4.0.98-0ubuntu1~hardy1~ppa1_all.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    Note the authentication warning. I've tried just moving the PNG file out of the way, but that didn't help.

Comment

I found the following on a French forum that helped:

Code:
      dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/kde-icons-oxygen_4%3a4.0.98-0ubuntu1~hardy1~ppa1_all.deb
      That at least fixed the upgrade problem, but Kontact isn't working. The Mail part fails to load, and the Calendar isn't working either.

Comment

Originally posted by nobbie

Code:
        dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/kde-icons-oxygen_4%3a4.0.98-0ubuntu1~hardy1~ppa1_all.deb
        That at least fixed the upgrade problem, but Kontact isn't working. The Mail part fails to load, and the Calendar isn't working either.
        Same problem and the work around worked for me - thanks nobbie.

Haven't tested KDE4 Pim yet, but imagine I'll have the same problem. Kontact seems to the poor cousin in KDE, as I recall it was broken in the last major update (RC1) as well.

Comment

I had the same issue. The fix worked, Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by nobbie

Code:
            Thanks. It's not a perfect fix, but at least I can load my KDE4 desktop now.

Comment

Hmmm.....

On my system, the fix at least allowed me to log in to kde4, however plasma crashes as soon as it loads. I'll have to look at the error messages and see what I can post here later.

Ok here's what I'm getting. Anyone else seeing this?

<unknown program name>(25021)/ checkComposite: Plasma has an argb visual 0x8061788 65011713
              <unknown program name>(25021)/ checkComposite: Plasma is COMPOSITE-less on 0x805a9e0
              Plasma crashed, attempting to automatically recover
              plasma(25021): Communication problem with "plasma" , it probably crashed.
              Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)" "

KCrash: crashing... crashRecursionCounter = 2
              KCrash: Application Name = plasma path = <unknown> pid = 25022
              sock_file=/home/ron/.kde4/socket-sisko/kdeinit4__0
              ron@sisko:~$ <unknown program name>(25060)/ checkComposite: Plasma has an argb visual 0x8061788 65011713
              <unknown program name>(25060)/ checkComposite: Plasma is COMPOSITE-less on 0x805a9e0
              plasma(25060): Communication problem with "plasma" , it probably crashed.
              Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)"

Comment

I had similar problem like rbetzen . After login I got some message about plasma crash then the screen turned black (I could still see a cursor though). Removing .kde4 directory helped.

Comment

Originally posted by rbetzen
                  Hmmm.....

On my system, the fix at least allowed me to log in to kde4, however plasma crashes as soon as it loads. I'll have to look at the error messages and see what I can post here later.

Ok here's what I'm getting. Anyone else seeing this?

<unknown program name>(25021)/ checkComposite: Plasma has an argb visual 0x8061788 65011713
                  <unknown program name>(25021)/ checkComposite: Plasma is COMPOSITE-less on 0x805a9e0
                  Plasma crashed, attempting to automatically recover
                  plasma(25021): Communication problem with "plasma" , it probably crashed.
                  Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)" "

KCrash: crashing... crashRecursionCounter = 2
                  KCrash: Application Name = plasma path = <unknown> pid = 25022
                  sock_file=/home/ron/.kde4/socket-sisko/kdeinit4__0
                  ron@sisko:~$ <unknown program name>(25060)/ checkComposite: Plasma has an argb visual 0x8061788 65011713
                  <unknown program name>(25060)/ checkComposite: Plasma is COMPOSITE-less on 0x805a9e0
                  plasma(25060): Communication problem with "plasma" , it probably crashed.
                  Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)"
                  I had the same problem. Had to remove plasmarc and plasma-appletrc from ~/.kde4/share/config. However, as you reckon, this would remove all plasma related configuration.

And also, the note plasmoid seems to crash plasma in my system.

Comment

And we're back - upgrade & update, and kdepim is fixed.

Comment

Working...
                    X