X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

firefox 3 or Opera 9

Hi,

As a big fan of firefox 3 I have to say I don't know why the windows xp version seems to work better and is lot slicker than the linux version. I also found the latest update still hogs memory and sometimes crashes-could be the flash 10 plugin, who knows?

Just started to give opera 9 a go, you can download a deb package from the site and boy is it fast compared to firefox. The interface looks a lot better and it has all the security options you need. I imported firefox bookmarks no problem and it has a clever 'speed dial' page built in that lets you select 9 sites that appear as large thumbnails-one click and your on the site.

It is not using anywhere near the memory firefox did so the fan does not sound like the laptop is going to take off-I have an old dell inspiron 1000-hey it's a great little laptop for the money.

It's strange how we get attached to certain applications- if outlook stopped working I think half the offices in the UK would have a nervous breakdown. Open source guys, a linux 'outlook' would get your foot well and truly in the door-and firefox was one of them, but I have to say Opera 9 is an eye opener.

Re: firefox 3 or Opera 9

evolution is close to outlook evolution even imported my outlook settings and contacts as well. I started using kmail and I'm quite happy with it . I haven't tried Opera but I use Seamonkey which I found better than firefox3. I think I will give Opera a try.

Comment

I use this theme https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7574 for firefox 3. It uses a similar version of the original Windows theme but fits it more for KDE4.

I can't say I've noticed much of a difference in memory usage but I'm also not lacking memory either so I guess if you are restricted on how much you can use then it could be a problem.

I have used Opera 9 and have no complaints. It starts faster than firefox but I think it renders pages slower.

Comment

Guys, how Opera handles flash and javascript developed to M$ IE ??
        I keep firefox, besides memory hungry, because some pages did not work on Konqueror and even earlier Opera...

Comment

Hi All,

I noticed that the flash plugin is the one installed in ~/.mozilla/plugins directory how it uses javascript would take some googling.

I have had a mild change of heart after a few days. The firefox interface is just a lot simpler and the ad blocking for opera is a bit hit & miss unlike adblock plus which is brilliant. Opera also has an annoying bittorrent system built in so you have to remember to right click and save as.

There is an extension for stumbleupon for opera but I missed the optimizegoogle extension which is really useful.

What I noticed was after a few days opera slowed down but it still uses half the memory of firefox: on my laptop opera is 9% and firefox is 17%. If the firefox guys can get the memory footprint down to say 10% that would be really handy.

So I shall try and see if it's possible to reduce firefox memory usage and repost.

Comment

i'm using both,whichever gives me trouble,i use the other one

Comment

Working...
            X